Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my plans for a turbo install on my '95 has been a nightmare. I run tall valve covers that interfere with the alternator. If I space the alternator to the passenger side 2"; it will clear the alternator but then there's no room for the turbo.

Now I'm considering a centrifugal as they seem to fit in my situation. I'm running a stock bottom end and cam. The intake is an old Performer RPM 1 that flows from 280-300cfm. Heads are Promaxx 180.
A turbo setup can easily get me to 500rwhp. It looks like I'm lucky to hit 400rwhp with a supercharger on 91 octane in the Phoenix heat. I'm weighing out my options. Thoughts?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Been looking at some my self for my 95. I would really like to go procharger due to the intercooler but it’s significantly more expensive than vortech. D1SC stage 2 is about 6k!
AFM has a vortech V3 tuner kit with their powerpipe for under $3400, self libricated head unit, looks like a really simple install but it’s non intercooled. I don’t see a problem hitting 500rwp with your combo, you might just have to rev it higher or get a smaller pulley but you definitely won’t get that torque that a turbo offers.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Been looking at some my self for my 95. I would really like to go procharger due to the intercooler but it’s significantly more expensive than vortech. D1SC stage 2 is about 6k!
AFM has a vortech V3 tuner kit with their powerpipe for under $3400, self libricated head unit, looks like a really simple install but it’s non intercooled. I don’t see a problem hitting 500rwp with your combo, you might just have to rev it higher or get a smaller pulley but you definitely won’t get that torque that a turbo offers.
The kits are very pricey. I saw the Anderson kit. It looks to be well thought out. I'd be happy with 450rwhp. My fear is detonation with our crappy pump gas and the heat. I wonder just how much cooling you get from those little, under hood intercoolers? I love torque and that's another concern. I've never ridden in a car with a centrifugal.

·
Registered
2000 Mustang GT
281 Posts
The kits are very pricey. I saw the Anderson kit. It looks to be well thought out. I'd be happy with 450rwhp. My fear is detonation with our crappy pump gas and the heat. I wonder just how much cooling you get from those little, under hood intercoolers? I love torque and that's another concern. I've never ridden in a car with a centrifugal.
No reason you can’t do a front mount

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No reason you can’t do a front mount
I didn't know that is an option. As you can tell; I haven't researched it a whole lot.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Front mount intercooler with A/C condenser can be done, but you're going to end up hacking up your bumper cover and you will need the highest flowing fan you can get. Still, in late late July your IAT is still going to be up there since the heat coming off the road will be 150 or higher. Spraying meth is about the only way you'll be able to keep your IAT's down.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Front mount intercooler with A/C condenser can be done, but you're going to end up hacking up your bumper cover and you will need the highest flowing fan you can get. Still, in late late July your IAT is still going to be up there since the heat coming off the road will be 150 or higher. Spraying meth is about the only way you'll be able to keep your IAT's down.
I'm curious why I'd need to hack my bumper cover. I've seen intercooled turbo 94/5 cars with full bumper covers. I think they are 3" thick intercoolers. I'm installing Contour fans like I did on my last car. They really helped. I also run a high flow water pump and a '97 AC condenser with less dense fin count. I thought about meth even if I ran a turbo. I just don't like the idea of relying on it. Between our crappy fuel and the heat....

·
Registered
214 Posts
I had to trim ~ 1" back on my bumper cover (90) just to fit a big trans cooler . Guess it all depends if your car is a track car that you drive on the street or a street car that you track once in awhile. The guys in my group all agree that if you have a street car here in the desert and you want to drive year around, then build big cube n/a motors and use the bottle. Id love to run boost, but its a pain due to the bad gas and high summer Temps.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had to trim ~ 1" back on my bumper cover (90) just to fit a big trans cooler . Guess it all depends if your car is a track car that you drive on the street or a street car that you track once in awhile. The guys in my group all agree that if you have a street car here in the desert and you want to drive year around, then build big cube n/a motors and use the bottle. Id love to run boost, but its a pain due to the bad gas and high summer Temps.
You just verified what I've been thinking. It's just disappointing trying to make streetable power with say a 347 at 10:1. My last two 347's made 340-350rwhp on 91. It seems if I go much higher on static compression; the engine pings.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
450rwhp is completely doable. you can always add meth injection.
With the stock can? I'd like boost to come in early for the street.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I agree with that too but if you have a goal of 500-550rwhp then you still have to build something that might not be very streetable.
For example I would think a 500+ hp 408w will have to have good flowing heads, intake and a healthy cam with 10.5 or so compression. And then hope that 91 octane is enough on 110*+ summer days.
Or you can do a lower compression 347 that puts out 350rwhp or so and then put a supercharger on it with less that 8-10 psi and make 500hp +. And I would think that would be more street friendly that the 408w. Just my thoughts

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
with enough boost... switch to and 8" crank and a 3.33" pulley. that will get it done. try to stay less than 50,000 rpm for longevity by keeping rpm 5500 rpm. if you want boost to come in early, this is the way to do it.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
with enough boost... switch to and 8" crank and a 3.33" pulley. that will get it done. try to stay less than 50,000 rpm for longevity by keeping rpm 5500 rpm. if you want boost to come in early, this is the way to do it.
Can one build a kit for cheaper than new? I haven't had very good luck buying used parts. Turbo kits are definitely cheaper.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I agree with that too but if you have a goal of 500-550rwhp then you still have to build something that might not be very streetable.
For example I would think a 500+ hp 408w will have to have good flowing heads, intake and a healthy cam with 10.5 or so compression. And then hope that 91 octane is enough on 110*+ summer days.
Or you can do a lower compression 347 that puts out 350rwhp or so and then put a supercharger on it with less that 8-10 psi and make 500hp +. And I would think that would be more street friendly that the 408w. Just my thoughts
A blower plus a 347 build is a pricey affair. It would be fun though. It all boils down to a fun street car. I'm just hoping for more hp than my last 2 combos.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
you could probably find a used kit but realize they are probably beat the hell on.

turbos are cheaper, but the centi superchargers have the quality control.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts