Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is borderline tech, but it is SOHC specific;

With show season aproaching, I would like to organize all SOHC mustang owners with engine detailing tips. Any tips for adding some zing to the underhood area will be welcome.

P.S. we all know a polished V2-SQ is NOT an engine detail! This thread is aimed at the average Stanger with a mostly stock engine and a restricted budget (me!)

So lets hear your tips! References to issues of MMFF and 5.0 magazines will be usefull!:joy:

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
GT500KR said:
This is borderline tech, but it is SOHC specific;

With show season aproaching, I would like to organize all SOHC mustang owners with engine detailing tips. Any tips for adding some zing to the underhood area will be welcome.

P.S. we all know a polished V2-SQ is NOT an engine detail! This thread is aimed at the average Stanger with a mostly stock engine and a restricted budget (me!)

So lets hear your tips! References to issues of MMFF and 5.0 magazines will be usefull!:joy:
I am going to get me one of those Steam Buggy's or Steam Sharks you can buy at Sears or Target... Those things clean with hot steam and no harsh chemicals... Should get rid of the toughest grime... Ot at least I hope it will...

Or if you want to take the Chemical approach. Spray on some Simple Green and hose it off.. Should work pretty well...
Some people spray the entire engine compartment with WD-40..
That will make it shine.... You can try Amour All or another Plastic Cleaner on the Plastic stuff...

Spring is still far off, especially here in Indiana... We get screwy weather and once the snow and ice melts we get into Tornado Season... YUCK.... Time to move to Florida... Nothing to worry about there buy Hurricanes... ;)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man, I had almost bought the Simple Green while I was out too! DOH! How well does the simple green work on cleaning up aluminum? the front end of my engine is pretty dull, not so much greasy, just dull.

The eloctro plating is interesting, I had never thought of that on plastic. I did pick up a can of aluminun colored spray paint though, I post about how well it works on my alternator.
How long do you suppose it would take to get the valve covers off, and is there any higher than normal occurance of leaks after DIY-ing it?

·
Registered
806 Posts
sapperstang78 said:
I spray mine down with water and then coat it with simple green. Hose that off and its spotless.
do you worry about blowing the coil packs, or anything else?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have hosed mine down a few times, even with the high preassure wash. Never bugged it. I just take it easy on anything electrical, the real worry area is the connectors!

·
Registered
806 Posts
GT500KR said:
I have hosed mine down a few times, even with the high preassure wash. Never bugged it. I just take it easy on anything electrical, the real worry area is the connectors!
I actually thought ford used weather pack connectors, so those would be okay.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts