Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
53,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford says they sold out of the "first batch" of these. But every time they put up ads on Facebook, 500 people complain about the name. The concept looks cool, but attaching the Mustang name to it is probably not the best idea. Regardless, they will press forward. Also looks like the days are numbered for the internal combustion engine. Time will tell I guess...

Anybody out there? LOL...

·
Registered
64 Posts
I figure they called it a Mustang for 2 reasons. 1 if there is a huge demand for it they will just get rid of the current Mustang and this will become the new norm. I sure hope not!!!
Or 2 my hope lol... when it falls way short on sales predictions and popularity they will can this Electric version and go back to the V8 muscle car that made the Mustang what is is today.

I have a hard time believing we are going to completely do away with all the Internal combustion engines. Look at the Huge industry that supports them. From manufacturing to the oil industry for lubricants and fuel. Not even talking about the entire aftermarket industry for hot rodding. Or just simple distribution of goods and transportation of people.

We complain about cost of shipping products, plane tickets etc. Now imagine if all these industries were forced to eliminate all of there current Planes, Trucks, Ships and replace them with newer EV compatible units. I don't see how that won't be financially crippling to the country??? Your going to tell me that they won't pass the cost off on the consumers??

Also look at the jobs and industry that will most likely get eliminated. I know the EV deal will create new jobs. But no where near the amount we are going to eliminate. Your talking about eliminating and industry that has been around since the late 1800's early 1900's a 100 years worth, give or take of growth and building and you want to completly change it in 10yrs how does anyone even think this is feasable??? I'm not saying there isn't a place for EV yes I believe there are good markets that can benefit from it but there are also great alternative fuels that can help with emissions as well.

Not to get on another rant but this whole climate change also. I feel we have based all our facts off 100yrs of data for a world that has been around for tens of thousands of years. Thats like basing facts off a survey that asked 10 people out of a trillion some questions and making all your conclusions based off that small sample of data. Rediculous if you ask me!!! Maybe this is just what the planet does have we ever thought of that.

Sorry ill get off my soapbox just my 2cents...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
53,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You make good points, but the push to "go green" is very strong and the current generation is full steam ahead on changing the transportation industry. My carbon footprint resembles that of a T-rex I suppose, but I see the writing on the wall...

·
Administrator
53,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just nod if you can hear me....

Eh, a new 'motor' option is what it amounts to for me. Could be a lot of fun.
Mike what is your take on the 4-doors? I never warmed up to the Charger when Mopar brought it back as a 4-door, but I loved the Challenger. Mustangs have two doors...

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
New vehicle sales in 2018 landed at roughly 17,270,000 units. Of those a record number of EV's sold tallying up to roughly 361,000 units. A whopping 2% of total vehicle sales. And electric vehicle sales have been shrinking so far this year. So little to worry about at this point. Ford will sell every unit they make, probably at a loss. Look at how much free press this has gotten them. That has A LOT of value.

EV's have two massive major hurdles to overcome before widespread adoption. And cost isn't one of them. Range. Charge time. They don't go far enough and worse they take too long to recharge. And let's just ignore the impact of increased load on the grid should a massive switch occur. And let's also ignore the the number of people that will lose their jobs that work the entire supply chain of liquid fuel from pumping it out of the ground, to moving it to the refinery, to refining it, to delivering it, to selling at the pump. And lost taxes, let's ignore that too.

But once the range and charge time issues are resolved, all bets are off and "fuels" time will be over.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mike what is your take on the 4-doors? I never warmed up to the Charger when Mopar brought it back as a 4-door, but I loved the Challenger. Mustangs have two doors...
I understand the concept I just wished they had called it something different. There are so many other things you could have called it that would still bring interest i believe.

I dont understand how you can call two completley different vehicle's basically the same name, atleast ones that will occupy space in a showroom or dealer lot at the same time.

I feel it would be like GM releasing that the new C8 Corvette was going to be an EV crossover and that the C7 would still be produced.

I agree on the Charger at first I was not a fan but as the years have gone on and the release of the SRT versions I have slowly began to find a like for the car. I do love the Challenger though. I think Dodge and Ford nailed the designs of the Challenger and Mustang. Each year they have gotten better and better looking IMO...
I guess thats my dissapointment in them calling the new EV a Mustang.

But I guess thats just my old soul lol.....
These are cars and brands I grew up wanting or owning. My wife tells me all the time I need to accept change better. I tell her maybe I just grew up in the wrong generation hahaha...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
4,303 Posts
A lot of the complaints I have read in the comments on the Mach-E are nothing to do with it being an EV. People are pissed off that the name Mustang has been slapped onto an SUV far more than pissed off that an EV Mustang was made. After all for 50+ years the word Mustang was always slapped onto two-door coupes and it even is the very model that invented the term "pony car" although not so sure new Mustangs fall under that category any longer or maybe any car from any company does these days.

What gets me, outside the whole slapping the name onto an SUV, is the fact it really looks more like one of the CX series Mazdas that someone thought at the last minute lets throw a glowing horse onto the front end and figure out how to morph some Mustang taillights onto then we can call it a Mustang.

But have to give props to the Ford marketing department. This decision to name the SUV a Mustang has generated a massive amount of talk about the vehicle and all for free. Sure a lot of that talk is negative and I question out of the orders for this vehicle would any of those people not bought it had the name been any different? Also, where will this name riding stop, will they come out with a Mustang Boss-E minivan? Will they decide the F150 name sales are so great they should have an F150 roadster(to compete with a Miata or Boxster)?

At the end of the day the auto industry is being forced to go more EV via all sorts of laws/mandates across the globe even just CAFE here is slowly forcing the EV onto us. But since it really is not a market demand driving this then the auto companies seem to mostly be gambling of when do they start introducing EVs and what type of body type and so on. You can see this more so in non-US automakers when you look at things like VW long ago announcing going to all EVs or Daimler this year announcing they stopped the development of internal combustion engines to focus on EV and so on and so on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts