Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...i gona sell the damn thing.

long story short. swaped intake and left paper towel in the intake ports. pulled the heads cleaned them up and reassembled. #1 at TDC and rotor pointing at 1. plug wires routed correct. THE CAR WONT FIRE!. i get a dull orange spark, could the TFI module be bad? dist 180 out? me = moron? any ideas? did code test and got only 22. hard codes are cleared out.

thx

·
Registered
355 Posts
Try to rotate the distributor 180*. There shouldn't be any major problems as you didn't mess with the internals.

Are you really gonna sell the thing b/c you can't get it started? Weak.:(

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep thinking about selling it. i have so much money tied up in it its disgusting. i also need dependable daily transportation. this isnt that!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tt..... the car has been out of action for 3 weeks dont want a fourth.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Your kidding... you should have a daily driver and the mustang... If my mustang was my only car i wouldn't have left the house for 6 months! My car is in the shop too... I'm fed up too, but I think with a daily driver it makes it alot more ok!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sounds like the distributor is in 180 off. Take it out and make sure you are on TDC of the compression stroke. Take the #1 spark plug out stick your finger in the plug hole and turn the motor over by hand. When you feel compression, you know you are on the compression stroke. But don't sell you car cause you are pissed at it!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the tech and moral support. the distributor was 180 out. pulled it, spun it and stabbed it and it kicked right over. with the accufab and tfs it seems to be running smoother, though 150rpms higher right now. to set the idle i pulled the spout, disconnected the IAB, set idle screw and adjusted timing then readjusted idle then timing. plugged evrything back in and its working.........for now! fingers crossed for no internal coolant leaks.

thx guys, your all a valuable resource

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
your timing is off, you need to get it set right, or have someone do it for you. If I was local I would help ya out, because I guarantee it would fire within 10 minutes.... Where are you? How did you drop the dizzy in to get it started? You need to find top dead center of the #1 cylinder, I stick my finger in the spark plug hole until the air pressure blows past it so I feel pressure in the cyl, then I set the rotor to point just to the right of #1 so when the dizzy drops down and seats in the block it will line up with #1 perfectly. Try to start it there, and if it doesn't start, move the dizzy a 1/4 inch or so to either side and start again, but you know you want it right around the #1 wire on the cap.....so be smart and you should get it running. Let me know if you need more help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts