Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off, special thanks to Casper97Cobra, Colt45, and SvtKid for all of their help today. It was very generous of them to put together this tech day. Without their help and their tools, today's project would not have been possible. They will post a very detailed write-up with numerous pics regarding today's project in the near future.

When we tore everything apart, I couldn't believe how filthy my lower intake and IMRCs plates were! I have seen a few pictures of other peoples' dirty lower intakes and dirty IMRC plates on this UBB, but mine were much filthier....so filty that it took 12 cans of carb and choke cleaner to get the job done! The first 6 cans we used were made by GumOut: this product does not have good cleansing ability. We then used 6 cans of O-reily's carb and choke cleaner: this product is potent! As soon as we would spray the O-reily's carb and choke cleaner on the top and bottom of the lower intake and IMRC plates, the carbon build-up would dissolve off completely.

In addition to cleaning the IMRC plates and lower intake, we also replaced my IMRC actuator. However, we did not attempt to clean the primary and secondary intake ports and valves on the shortblock.

The results of the job were phenomenal:

1.) My car's driveability has improved in every single aspect. The idle is much smoother for one thing.

2.) The car does not buck and surge anymore between 2800 and 3200 RPM.

3.) The car does not sputter in the upper RPMS anymore, nor does it fall on its face in the upper RPMS.

4.) The IMRC plates no longer stick closed after driving for a long time. As a result, my intake does not get back-logged with boost and consequently, my FMU no longer dumps tons of unwanted fuel into the combustion chamber, making my car run like a pig.

5.) The car revs much quicker and crisper. No longer does it take forever to get to redline.

Again, thanks to all those who helped today. I can't believe how big of a difference it has made with respect to my car's performance. The next step is to delete the PCV valve system, replace the plugs and wires, and head out to the dyno to see if I gained any horsepower and/or torque.

·
Registered
931 Posts
i know you had too. My car has not pulled like this since EVER!!! I love it. his car sounds awsome now and both of our idles are dead on!!! i learned so much today! thanx again caspercobra(mike) and colt45(colt) for teaching me alot about the car. If you have a 96 - 98 snake you SHOULD do this and feel the difference!

·
Registered
474 Posts
This is something I wish I had addressed during my rebuild. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the write up including pictures. Keep us posted Jahel. Thanks for the info.

Brian

·
Registered
931 Posts
colt .45 said:
I am so glad I was able to help you guys. It was nice meeting you. :D
Look forward to having another tech day of some sort, without the biotch this next time. lol!
by the baitch do you mean Mike? hahahaha. when is the P&P the heads tech weekened?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Bri'sMystic said:
This is something I wish I had addressed during my rebuild. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the write up including pictures. Keep us posted Jahel. Thanks for the info.

Brian
Write up with TONS of pictures will be up soon. :cool:

·
Registered
577 Posts
I am eagerly awaiting the write up so I can do this soon, hopefully!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Well guys, first off let me say it was great having you over so we could help. Colt is the IMRC-MAN!! Both your cars, SVT Kid and Jahel, are awesome. Glad to hear that the "cleansing" helped. Hope to see you BOTH out soon. The port and polish job may have to wait, gotta give the neighbors a rest of the Snakes driving by...hehehehe.

And the article WILL be along shortly...SO much stuff to write up guys. I ave some great pics, just want to make sure it's as thurough as possible.

Mike

·
Registered
369 Posts
'97CasperCobra said:
Well guys, first off let me say it was great having you over so we could help. Colt is the IMRC-MAN!! Both your cars, SVT Kid and Jahel, are awesome. Glad to hear that the "cleansing" helped. Hope to see you BOTH out soon. The port and polish job may have to wait, gotta give the neighbors a rest of the Snakes driving by...hehehehe.

And the article WILL be along shortly...SO much stuff to write up guys. I ave some great pics, just want to make sure it's as thurough as possible.

Mike
Thanks again for holding this. :cool:
Even though my car wasnt one of the patients.

·
Registered
577 Posts
So all this work you guys did is all for just the cleaning part, under the knowledge that they are 100% working fine and just needing a cleaning, right?

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
how many miles do you guys got? I got 40,000. My car runs fine but if I can find a few extra ponies just by cleaning it up then i'm down :D

·
Registered
577 Posts
40,000? Damn, I just pulled in the driveway tonight from work and just rolled to 79,000 even in the driveway....

Guess its way past time for mine to be done, hopefully this writeup will help loads!

·
Registered
21 Posts
yea same here..i have 58,xxx miles on my car...it runs great but if itll help im down to do mine also.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As of now, I have 62,000 miles on my car. I am the original owner and had never cleaned the IMRCs or intake before today.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Sounds awesome. I'm up for this "cleansing" soon... just haven't had the time to do it. My car just rolled over 163K miles so I can only imagine how NASTY my IMRC and valves are. I'm planning this little mod in the near future. Can't wait for the pic's and writeup.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts