Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have anyone ran this in a 306 with tfs heads, performer rpm intake. s trim and mac 1/58 longtubes would this be a good combo I have 1.6 and 1.7 rr:joy:

·
Formerly known as 89 steeda
734 Posts
I have kind-a the same set up,but without the blower and without the efi.The only thing I would recomend is to use a degree wheel when seting up the cam.The first year I had the cam in I put it in straight up and never checked it. The next year I put all my stuff in a new block and degreed that time and found when it was in straight up it was really 3 degrees retarded. So I had to install it 4 degrees advanced to get the numbers to match the cam card.I could tell a big differance in my power down low afterwards.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thinks 89 steeda i did degre the cam and it check out . so i then retard it two degres. would i benefit from 1.7rr

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ttt

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
anyone

·
Registered
439 Posts
CStraub said:
What is the lobe sep and the intake centerline of the cam. Also what is the lobe lift.

CStraub
i have a card in front of me and would also like to know

499 510 lift
275 279 adv. dur.

221 225 @.050

108 intake centerline
116 exhaust centerline

intake opens @ 3 closes @ 38
exhaust opens @ 49 closes @ 4

I have a similar combo and in the process of getting an S-trim So what are your thoughts on this Chris

·
Registered
600 Posts
the cam is to big. For a 306 and a blower you would require much less duration. Blowers love high lift and light duration. Reason is you have force pushing the charge in so you want to open the valve quickly. . .get it in. .. then shut it quick to make POP. The lobe sep of 112 is fine but blowers don't like advance and with 4 degrees yes a retard is required.

CStraub

·
Registered
177 Posts
ponnyboy -how far off was your cam when you degreed it?

I've blown several head gaskets in the last year(since I changed Head/Cam/Intake/Injectors/mam) It's been suggested that it's the cam because I didn't degree it. I don't realy see how, but I just put it in straight up. If you found yours to be retarded as did 89 steada, and that's what CStraub is suggesting I would feel a little better about that issue.

I even blew a HG with no blower and 10 of initial timing.:barf:

I'm at it now with a new shortblock, decked the heads just to clean them up, and no blower. So far so good.

BUT the blower belt is going on this weekend after a leakdown test.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mine was dead on stright up with the stage one . when i ran the stage 2 in my old motor it was off one degre retard so i retarded 2 moure witch was 115 lca this was in a 95 mustang .and had no problem with the computer . it just broke a rod and i putting my back up motor in with the stage one. and 1.72 witch would be 114lca with 530/548 lift. always degree if you can . just need some opinions on the 1.72 some say just put on the intake and 1.6 on the exhaust my combo is 306 tfs (sh)heads, performer rpm intake,mac 1/58 longtubes 38lbinj s trim,10to12lb of boost with tfs stage one cam 2degres retard. 1.6 1.72 or both:confused:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i meant track heat heads :eek:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cstroub what do you think .bobcat posted the cam card will my setup work with 1.72 114 lca 530/548 lift:lol :D

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I THINK I WILL USE THE 1.72 :confused:

·
Formerly known as 89 steeda
734 Posts
Yes I would say use the 1.72's .Like others have said the blower likes lots of lift and short duration. So the 72's would be like putting in a cam with big lift but short duration. I think it would work great for ya.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ttt

·
Registered
716 Posts
It doesn't matter witch rockers you use.... I am still gonna spank that tatter.........

·
Registered
391 Posts
I just did a cam swap on a 302 w/TW heads, Cobra intake (unported), 1.6's, & an S-trim.
He had a Comp cams nitrous grind 212/224 114LSA. The car was a dog below 3K.
I installed the TFS stage 1 on a 114ICL & the car gained 5mph in the 1/4 on the first time out.

Want to get tricky? Try using 1.7's on the intake & 1.6's on the exhaust.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
CStraub said:
the cam is to big. For a 306 and a blower you would require much less duration. Blowers love high lift and light duration. Reason is you have force pushing the charge in so you want to open the valve quickly. . .get it in. .. then shut it quick to make POP. The lobe sep of 112 is fine but blowers don't like advance and with 4 degrees yes a retard is required.

CStraub
So you're saying that the TFS stage 1 cam is not a good choice for a blower?
I have heard people say that it does well. Would the stock cam with 1.7's work better than the TFS stage 1 with 1.6's? or would a X cam or something along those lines work better?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
dose anyone know of a site that has a how to on degreeing a cam??

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:D smokems you need worry about (ARRON) first:evil:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts