Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would have to say I am pretty sad about the way this camshaft sounds. And After looking at the cam card I can tell why without any doubt. The cam is ground with an 8 degree advance on the intake side :eek: ( 108cl on intake 116cl on exhaust ). This cam is probably a great cam to make power from 2500 rpm and above with a flat torque curve, but in a stickshift car that your going to race, your not worried about anything below 4000 rpm anyways. This cam is in my friends 89 GT and was only bought for 100 bucks ( guy at work had it and it was brand new. ) So before anyone out there starts to complain I would like to say AGAIN that it probably makes a great flat torque curve from like 2500 rpm and above. Its just missing that great sound that an aftermarket cam IMO should always give. This cam should work awsome in an automatic car needing to make some serious flat power band. Now to just find a cam with the same duration and lift specs as this stage one with a tighter CL so we can make power where a stickshift car makes use of.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
My buddy has one in is trick flow headed 94 GT. I think it sounds great and pulls like hell all the way to 6500rpm. Prolly not the best cam but it works. I am going with the TFS #2 cam for my windsor.

·
Registered
297 Posts
hey how are those gears? i was thinking about buying a set of 390s.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ill know what they are like monday. Ive had a car with 4.11's and a C4 and drove it everywhere ( my only car at the time ) and gas economy has never botherd me in all my time of driving. I have driven cars with 3.55's, 3.73's, and 4.10's behind a stickshift mustang and would say the only ones worth your time are 4.10's if you plan nothing but N/A power. I plan on the future of this car having something along the lines of a turbo or blower so I dont want to be to aggressive with the gears, but still want the ability to peddle the car out of the hole and not kill it. I have a good feeling that these will give me what I want from my car. Maybe friday I wll go to the track and see what kind of times my car can run with them. IMHO do not buy anything less than these gears if you plan to stick N/A.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
thats why they call it a stage 1

it is the closest thing to stock that they offer,for the least amount of mods, and the lowest power range.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
63T-Bolt, how do those dynomax race magnums sound? I am thinking of swapping to them cause my car with TFS heads/cam is way too loud w/ 2ch flowmasters. Are they nice sounding w/o being obnoxious? BTW, I have the TFS 1 cam and I like the way it sounds, but I put it in for power w/ my combo, not to sound fast.

What does cam centerline mean? And what about 8* of advance build in mean?

·
Registered
802 Posts
I am not totally sure what your talking about. I have the TFS stage 1 cam and I totally love it. It sounds better than any of the alphabet cams I have heard from by buddies cars and it pulls lke a bat out of hell from idle all the way to 6000 rpm on my car. I have some friends with the Stage 1 and they loves theirs as well.

·
Registered
802 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
If the cam has a 221 degree intake duration and the lobe center is at 221/2=110.5 then it is straight up. If the lobe center occurs at 108 then it is 2.5 degrees advanced. I believe this is the way cam advance/retart works.

I ran a 216/220 with 110.5 lobe center cam and it had a great cammed idle sound.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Grn did you put you cam streight up?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The race magnums on my otherwise stock engine are way QUITER than flowmaster 2 chambers from idle to about 3500 rpm, then they start to become louder. For a cam with its duration its alright, but not a firm CRISP rasp like a true 108cl would give. If i can figure out how I will take some sound clips of the stage one and let you compare them to my 302 with Lunati camshaft that has just a tad more duration and has very little advance on the intake side ( 108 on the intake and 110 on the exhaust .) Just got done putting about 130 miles on his new engine tonight and all seems to be well. Just have to run the valves one more time to be on the safe side and put some more miles on it. And one last note ALL alpahbet cams IMO suck, they need to go back through and redesign all these camshafts so they can be at the fore front of camshaft design.

·
Registered
297 Posts
did you guys have to use tall vavle covers? or did you use the stock ones. cause my friend says that with the 1.6 Rollers and TFS heads that they're not clearing(hitting the top of the vavle cover) any help would be greatful being that im going to go through the same process and spend $$ Thanks.

Vinny

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
I am using TW heads with 1.6 rockers and stud mount. I used stock valve covers. I had a pair from a 86. If you use the 86's covers then they will need to be modified. If you have a pair from a 93, they will fit with a minor mod of removing the baffle.

·
Registered
297 Posts
the baffle is on the passenger side right? where the add oil neck is? is it something easy to remove?

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
Just unscrew the baffle from the pass side cover. then cut out the bosses that held it in place.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.