Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the setup in my sig. My cam seems to have anice lope to it. Does everyone elses lope?
Also how much timing do the twisted wedge heads like? and how much fuel pressure should I go with?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hey WLDTAND....I am glad to see you have it running!:joy:

I am still in the process of getting all the parts I need before I can finish my '86...remember me from a previous post? My setup is going to be very close to yours (TFS TW heads, Stage 1, 1.6's, 24#'s, '93 Cobra intake, 65mm tb, 70 mm MAF, '86 short block).

Just wondering how everthing went? How is she running? Did you clay the pistons for p/v clearance check? Did you use the 6.7 inch pushrods?

Sorry about all the questions...I am just very curious about how it went!:D

Thanks!:joy:

Tom
'86 notch

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Our setup is almost identical. The only difference I see is that I am running the pro m 77mm MAF vs. your 70mm MAF.
I did clay the pistons and you will have plenty of room. I could go as high as .542 lift and be safe. It has a lot more clearance than I thought. I even had my TW's shaved slightly and have the block slightly decked.
I am using the 6.75" pushrods. I made an adj. pushrod checker from a stock pushrod. It worked great. I determined I needed 6.75" but you may be able to go 6.70". Either way you should be fine.
I ran into a few problems that I did not expect. Had the wrong gaskets on the water pump. Not big deal though. Then I started blowing out feeze plugs. This sucked big time. Apparently I did not have a couple of them seated enough. I have installed them myself in other motors with no prob. but I must have not gotten them in enough this time. I had to install tow rubber plugs because I could not get to them to install the brass ones again. I plan to pull the motor later down the road and install the correct ones.
The motor runs great. It pulls pretty hard to 6 grand with no prob. I need to readjust the rockers again and play with fuel press.
I have timing set at about 14 degrees right now. The car seems to be running a little on the hot side at the moment. I have a 180 degree thermostat but it gets up to about 200 to 210.
Sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
87GTVERT
Does your cam have a nice lope to it?
Wow 20-22* timing? Any pinging?

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I gained about 1.5mph going from 14* to 18* timing. I havent tried 20* yet, not sure if I will. Yes, the cam has a nice streetable lope to it and sounds very lopey when its first started up cold. Make sure your rad is filled up all the way and burp the system as necessary. With a 190* ford stat, pep boys 3 core rad and a stewart pump, my car runs 195-200* just like its supposed to. I have underdrive pulleys too. FP is hard to say, but around 38psi should get u in the range. A dyno will say for sure where fp should be and how the a/f looks.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Grn92LX said:
I gained about 1.5mph going from 14* to 18* timing. I havent tried 20* yet, not sure if I will. Yes, the cam has a nice streetable lope to it and sounds very lopey when its first started up cold. Make sure your rad is filled up all the way and burp the system as necessary. With a 190* ford stat, pep boys 3 core rad and a stewart pump, my car runs 195-200* just like its supposed to. I have underdrive pulleys too. FP is hard to say, but around 38psi should get u in the range. A dyno will say for sure where fp should be and how the a/f looks.
i see you went back to the track, man i wish i had your 60FT, that would be a 12.9 for me :)
usually 1 tenth in the 60FT= 2 at the end
Sux i had to take the heads off...car feels slow again :(

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Grn92LX
How do you burp the system? I prob. need to do that.
Does anyone know which port on the intake does the vac. line for the FP reg. go to? I think mine may be backwards. When I throttle it the fuel press drop some.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Your fp sounds normal. When u rev it and let off the gas, the fp will go up quickly then when u get off the gas it'll go down cause the throttle is closed and the rpms are up, has to do w/ high vacuum or something when the rpms are up but throttle is closed. What does the fp do while your driving it or on the gas? When your on it it should go to where u set it w/ the vacuum off.

To burp the system what I do is w/ the car warmed up, removed the rad cap. Before doing this squeeze the upper rad hose and if its soft u can open the cap. With the cap off keep squeezing the upper hose once in a while and if the rad needs to be filled all of a sudden, fill it cause there was air in it. Hard to explain through the computer. Make sure the overflow tank is filled up too.

87GTvert, yeah I hit the track up again. I should have been in the high 12's w/ that 60' or very close to it, but I think the car was spinning slightly on the 1-2 shift and I slightly bogged on my last run too(the 13.2 run). I need more fp tuning and a higher rpm launch think. I'm gonna loosen my rockers too and see what happens. Gonna try 1/2 turn as opposed to 1 ful turn. Some say this is hurting me. Why did u pull the heads after like 2 weeks?? Whats so bad w/ an E7 head:lol:

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will try the burp thing.
with my FP line off I set it to 38-40. When I hook it back up it really does not change.
When i het the gas it drops about 5 -10 psi.
I think I have the vac. line on the wrong port. I will try swapping them around and see if that helps.
Do you get a strong exhaust smell from your exhaust with this setup. Mine is very strong. makes your eyes water even outside.
Seems to be way rich.
I have the stock fuel pump still. Think this will hurt my performance?

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Yep, my eyes do hurt sometimes from the exhaust. My car is rediculously loud and thats gonna stop soon. 2 chamber flowmasters are too loud for a heads/cam mustang too me. I'm thinking about dynomax race magnums or maybe super turbos.

You do need a 190lph pump. Its cheap too. Stock pump is not adaquate IMO for your car.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Grn92LX said:
87GTvert, yeah I hit the track up again. I should have been in the high 12's w/ that 60' or very close to it, but I think the car was spinning slightly on the 1-2 shift and I slightly bogged on my last run too(the 13.2 run). I need more fp tuning and a higher rpm launch think. I'm gonna loosen my rockers too and see what happens. Gonna try 1/2 turn as opposed to 1 ful turn. Some say this is hurting me. Why did u pull the heads after like 2 weeks?? Whats so bad w/ an E7 head:lol:
i had 2 bad valve seals, car was smoking like a 300k mile chevy at 8k rpms
everytime i would take off from lights i'd smoke like a mofo, it was embarasssing. 2 of the plugs were black. Need to replace the seals.
I ran with the stock heads and got a [email protected] w/a 2.28 60FT runnnig right after i got off the highway. So i can see a [email protected] with a cool car and a 2.0 60FT

1 - 13 of 13 Posts