1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok just got done installing my TFS combo
Tfs heads
Tfs track heat intake
F-cam ( was waiting too long for the Tfs stage 1 )
30lbs injectors
70mm TB
1.6 rockers TFS

on a 30k 306 bottom end..

Took about 2 and a 1/4 days
Everything went pretty good and had allot of fun..

BUT!! My lower intake in the back is leaking oil, I know allot had that problem before. I used ultra black for the seal, but oviously it did not hold. I am going to degreese it and dry it out, then smear some more RTV in there. ( could that work? )
After start up white smoke was comming from the tail pipe, But now its gone, No other leaks that I can see and no coolant leaks.. There is a little water comming from my pipes, But it is not coolant. Hmmm what else.. FP is set at 38, and timing is at 13. The valve train was super noisy at first and is now pretty good, Still a little noise BUt I think that might be normal. It is DEF. faster, but only up top. Already raced a brand new M3 from about a 60mph till about 85 mph. Did not pull super hard from him just a little... What else should I do to tune this puppy up.. THanks

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Beating on it already, huh! Funny how u mention an M3, I beat up on one of them last night, but the body style before the brand new ones. What was that power rating for the older ones?

Anyway, I suggest 18* timing w/ 93 octane. I gained 1.5mph at the track going from 14-18. Probably would have gained more, but I didn't get anymore runs in after that. I'd say fp is too high, but I dont know where it should be. How did you set your rockers? I'm gonna set mine again and set them looser. What procedure did you use? You should change the oil/filter again after driving it for the day.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
When I adj. my rockers I gave them about 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn. I need to go through them again though. They are pretty noisy. When I adjusted them, i rotated the engine over until the intake valve for the specific cyl. opened then closed. At that point I adjusted both intake and exhaust.
I just read that you should adjust the itake valve when the exhaust valve closes and the exhaust valve when the intake valve closes. I will try this method tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Degreasing and sealing might work. I have seen a bad leak at the bottom of the timing cover/oil pan fixed this way. The guy used copious quantities of brake cleaner, then when totally dry, painstakingly smeared the sealant into the gap. Personally, I couldn't do this to my car, but in a pinch, it's definately worth a shot.

The white smoke mighta been from coolant that got into the h-pipe when you pulled the old heads. Happened to me once.

Nice combo, tough to tune without being there.

Nick

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sounds Like you have the TFS equivalent of my EBOCK combo. LOL... My car to likes timing I run from 16* to 18* and you can feel it slow down with anything less runs like it is real hot and down on power with 12*-14*. My times are in the sig those were at 3200 race weight on 26 x 8" slicks. That F-cam makes good power; Also my car picked up huge with Long tubes on this combo. Not sure how TFS would be cause they probaly flow better then my Ebocks on the exhaust. Rizzo....

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
You might be able to get by with a little more timing.
As for leak in intake I know you dont want to hear it but yourself a favor and redo it, once it leaks it'll always leak.
What gears do you have? You will definitely need steep gears with that cam, abit much more for a daily driver if it was installed straight up IMO but should pull nice up high.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
bump the fuel and timing both up by 5, and you'll be set.

also make sure your fuel pump and filter are in good order.. mine werent and it was slooooooooooooooooooooooooow. picked up .6 and 5 mph in the 1/8th by just changing these two things.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Grn92LX said:
Beating on it already, huh! Funny how u mention an M3, I beat up on one of them last night, but the body style before the brand new ones. What was that power rating for the older ones?

Its 240hp. They are sweet... can you say next toy?

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok well I just got done putting some RTV in the back, Now at work with the daily driver. If it does not work, where do I get new gaskets for this? Order from Trick flow or summit? I have 3:55's and I can tell this thing needs so much more gear, though I will be putting a blower on it in about 2 months. So I think the 3:55's will work well then.

·
Registered
195 Posts
You need lots more timing. I too run 38lbs. of pressure, and runs ok (109mph with a smaller cam and intake). But, I do run 16* initial with 87 octane. If you like buying the expensive stuff, then another coupla degrees may prove beneficial. As far as the rear lower intake seal, I've done it with the blue rubber gasket, and just using a bead of blue RTV. If you just use the RTV, let it set up for 10min or so, so it doesnt all squish out when you torque the intake down. I've done it many times w/o any problems. Good luck!

josh

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok So I am at 38psi. With 30lbs injectors, and 13 timing. What should I do now? I hear a little hollow noise, I think maybe there is a vacuum leak.. BTW This motor is sweeeeeeeeeet. I just hope the head gaskets are good!

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
How much timing does the computer add to initial? I have an TFS install sheet and it says the heads perform best with 34-38* total. Does the computer add 20* to initial timing?

·
Registered
195 Posts
fastfed1 said:
Ok So I am at 38psi. With 30lbs injectors, and 13 timing. What should I do now? I hear a little hollow noise, I think maybe there is a vacuum leak.. BTW This motor is sweeeeeeeeeet. I just hope the head gaskets are good!
Personally, I think the 30lbs are an overkill, so you may want to play with lower fuel pressure. Like I said, if you run 87 octane, run atleast 16*. I could probably run maybe a 1/2 - 1 degree more on the 87, but I haven't messed with it. 18* would be useful if you're going to run 93 octane.

Take it easy!
josh

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
i agree.. go with 24lbers instead of 30s, or else you have to drop the fuel pressure very low and it doesn't have as much velocity coming out of the injector..

if youre spraying it or plan on adding a blower then thats different.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will be putting a S-trim on in about 1-2 months.. Will The 30's work then?? I have the fuel set @ 42 with vacuum off. Should I go lower?

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
fastfed1
Does your fuel press drop when you throttle the engine? Mine drops when I throttle it. I thought it should come up.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
fastfed1 said:
I will be putting a S-trim on in about 1-2 months.. Will The 30's work then?? I have the fuel set @ 42 with vacuum off. Should I go lower?
They will be way too small IMO for your combo w/ an S trim. I'd guess 42's would be what you want w/ an S trim.

The dyno w/ an a/f meter will tell u where fp should be, but i'd say 42psi is way too much.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I disagree on the fuel injectors. I have 24 lbs, and i have been told they are adequate for my combo(afr 165's, GT40 intake, cam:220/[email protected], 512/533"), but have been recommened to go with 30 lbs. I have also read that there is no such thing as too large a fuel injector(to some sane extent!).

As for improving your combo...I would get a chip burned, or since you are planning on buying an s-trim soon(i am too), you might want to check out the Tweecer. It is a prgramable chip that is adjustable for about the same price as a chip(~$550). I think i might go with it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts