Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suspect mine of failure. Need to replace. Don't know much about them. Can they be replaced with an aftermarket ignition system? Anybody had these go out? Can't find a used one.

Thanks Corral

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Buy a new ford one for about 50 bux. It's a different part than the aftermarket ignitions like msd, crane etc. It will go out eventually, its just a matter of time.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Well if you have an Autozone in your area they can test it. I suspected mine as well (turned out to be both the TFI and the PIP sensor in the distributer) and they confirmed that it was out. This happened maybe 9 months ago, no problems since.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
autozone

Thanks guys for the info. I'll try autozone. Ford wants $121!!!!

John

·
Registered
315 Posts
Ford does not make their own TFI module, they are made by Borg and warner if I am not mistaken, buy from PepBoys or local auto parts they are cheaper.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I thought Ford but the TFI modules on the fender wall on the sn95s so they won't burn up from heat on the distributors like the earlier designs did. I had mine tested at autozone twice and both times it came back OK. I was temped to buy the Wells unit but they insisted not to. The other thing I noticed is that the Ford unit is built better than the autzone unit to the eye, but I have installed a Standard brand TFI on an F250 and it looked closer to the stock unit construction.

Oh well, I guess I will play the get my stang stranded on the highway for now and see how long a stock unit will lasts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts