Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This guy that does exhaust in Bedford, Texas told me that there is no law against having a off road pipe in Texas. He said you cant receive a ticket for it. He said the only thing you had to worry about was getting inspected, or putting the stock pipe back on. Is there any truth to this?

Thanks,

DH

·
Registered
11 Posts
i have always heard that an o/r pipe is illegal cause it has no cats. i believe it is only illegal if you get caught;) i used to have an o/r x on my car, but the houston area has new emissions testing in place, so i now have a catted pipe. btw, i have heard of a few peeps in h-town getting a ticket for an o/r pipe.

G

·
There are laws in Texas against noise that would be the only thing that I would think you would have to worry about, that and getting it inspected without cats.

Jason

·
Registered
891 Posts
Just dont get caught .... I drove my previous car [2000 GT] with Borlas and Off-Road X-pipe for over 2 years and never got harassed .... oh yeah I forgot to mention my car was also lowered 3" so they couldn't just go on their knees and look for the cats heheheh .:evil:

·
Registered
603 Posts
I went to have my 91 LX 5.0 inspected a few years ago before I got rid of it.. The inspection people said that IF THE CAR IS 1988 and newer that is has to have CATS on it before they could inspect it.. This is because all vehicles as of 1988 came from the factory with CATS.

So they turned me away.. I went home and installed the stock H-Pipe and took it straight back to them.. No problem then..

This was of course before the new testing going on. Now I will definitely keep my original CATS H-Pipe for just such an occasion.

State law requires them as of 1999 if your car is 1988 and newer!

Later,
JK

·
Registered
176 Posts
Here is a link to the new emissions testing areas in Texas. They only apply to those counties that failed a Federal air testing audit. I thought this might be handy for some of my compadres.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/act.htm

There are also links to vehicle modifications and engine swap regulations on this page.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
1 Bad 4.6 said:
This guy that does exhaust in Bedford, Texas told me that there is no law against having a off road pipe in Texas. He said you cant receive a ticket for it. He said the only thing you had to worry about was getting inspected, or putting the stock pipe back on. Is there any truth to this?

Thanks,

DH
The guy was half-right. It's not a Texas law, but a Federal law that certain cars (e.g. after a certain year model) must have cats. Maybe he was thinking that Texas finally became it's own country :)

The federal law reads something like "...a properly functioning cat cannot be removed and if defective must replace with an OEM type cat if the car has less than 50K miles on the odometer...A fine of up to $2500 can be assessed for removing a properly functioning cat... ". This passage has something to do with emissions (including cats)being covered as factory warranty items for 50K miles regardless of any otehr warranty period for the car.

This being the case, it's funny that any exhaust system manufacturer can make and sell a catted pipe for a late model car. Especially, in view of the fact that the above passage of the Federal is stated on the paperwork that comes with nearly all x/h pipes (at least all the Bassani pipes that I've installed or purchased.

Two weeks ago, Bassani had a 2003 Cobra up on the rack getting fitted for a catted and O/R x pipes. I guess Bassani figures new '03 Cobra Owners will be racking up the first 50K miles pretty quick ;)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TTT

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.