Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stang started running bad over the weekend. It wont hold a steady idle (jumps 300-400 rpm). It does the same thing at cruising speed, acceleration, and deceleration. I smell gas also. And she is donw on power too. I changed NOTHING. It just came out of the blue.

I am fairly sure I have dropped a cylinder and am only running on 7. I want to check the plug wires first. Then on to the plugs themselves and distributer cap and rotor.

How do I check the wires. Do I use a volt/ohm meter??

Any other ideas??

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Do it the RIGHT way. Heck, Ford SUCKS at EFI. Maybe in 20 years, they will be where GM was in the 80's. The only thing that Ford ever did decent on their EFI units was to allow the 5.0 HO's EEC's to kill each cly, one by one, and check for rpm drop for each cly.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ummmmmmmmmmmmmm, well. I never opened the hood. I was guessing at what was wrong from the way it was driving/acting. I grabbed my ohm/volt meter and got under the hood.

A plug wire had come off the plug itself. HOW the frig did that happen?!?!?!?!?

No one but me gets under there. I have NEVER seen one work itself off EVER. They have been on for about a year and it just now decides to come off.

At least it was a cheap fix:D

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
A car that I used to have would have a spark plug wire rubbing against the steering linkage. So, every now and then, the wire would come off. Also, does the plug wire have that "snap" as it goes on? Maybe the end got spread out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts