Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done installing a Spec stage III and aluminum flywheel in my car and the thing rattles like crazy. When the car is just sitting there idling the shifter rattles back and forth while it chatters. The clutch pedal doesn't chatter though which is somewhat surprising to me. When I got the flywheel it had 2 weights; one of the weights was alrerady attached and there was an extra weight in a bag. I kept the one on the flywheel that it came with, not sure if this matters. I did everything by the books, so any ideas on what it could be?

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Sounds like the Flywheel isn't the correct Balance for your Rotating assembly..Sounds like your problem..

Jeff

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
stacked8 said:
I just got done installing a Spec stage III and aluminum flywheel in my car and the thing rattles like crazy. When the car is just sitting there idling the shifter rattles back and forth while it chatters. The clutch pedal doesn't chatter though which is somewhat surprising to me. When I got the flywheel it had 2 weights; one of the weights was alrerady attached and there was an extra weight in a bag. I kept the one on the flywheel that it came with, not sure if this matters. I did everything by the books, so any ideas on what it could be?
that doesnt sound right to me. i wouldnt drive it.

something with your flywheel or clutch. and only you can find out by taking it down and tripple checking.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
I would double check to make sure you have the right weight on the flywheel..the small weight should be for the 28 oz. balance..the bigger weight for 50oz. balance (stock shortblock). I ran a spec stage 3 last years in my car..was chattery till it broke in..about 150-200 miles. After that I loved it.

·
US Air Force Active Duty
1,393 Posts
Like S-Trimmed302 and Jeff88coupe said, your flywheel porbably needed the other weight attached for 50 oz imbalance. Did you call Spec and ask about the weights?

·
RobKong
1,118 Posts
Moving to the correct forum.

Please keep the 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech Forum limited to engine related topics...

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't really care, but I would say the flywheel is an engine component, but I'm no expert. I got the problem solved and it was definitely not what I expected. When I put the short h-pipe back on it was hitting the d/s safety loop pretty hard. So every vibration from the motor was transferred directly through the floorboard and up through the shifter. I put a torch on the part of the safety loop that was hitting and just bent it a bit. By the way, the clutch grabs like CRAZY. The only automobiles that I've owned in the past 8 years have been manuals and I stalled it about 3 times yesterday. I actually have to concentrate now when I take off from a stop light.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts