Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The driver's power lock doesn't work when it's below freezing.
The passenger side works all the time. I sprayed some oil stuff
as best I could from the outside hoping that might help, but no improvement other than smoother when warmer and operational.
What's going on? Any ideas as what to look for if I have to take off the door panel? '91 LX 5.0

·
Registered
898 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my ranger, but i think my problem has to do with the switch. Does the lock activate at all when its pressed? Either way, trying to spray WD-40 in the actuator from the outside isnt gonna do much, your going to have to pull the door panel.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm having a similar but a little different problem. My driver side actuator has worked since I bought the car but the passanger side hasn't. Well now the passanger side works and the driver side only works some of the time, I think it might be the switches but how can I go about checking it?

·
Registered
297 Posts
I just changed my actuator's this weekend. I bought them for 10.00 off some guy on eBay who advertises them as Mustang Cobra actuators. Took me 2 hours to do both. They work awesome.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Yup..actuator. You might get away with spraying some light lube in the inevitably cracked boot but once you're in there with the door panel off you might as well change the actuator. Not too hard as long as you don't listen to the people who insist it has to be drilled out and riveted back in place.

·
Registered
745 Posts
i have a buddy that swears lithium grease works great. he thought he had a bad acuator but after greasing it, it works fine.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
what happens is the rubber boot which protects the actuator cracks over time which allow moisture to get in and that is when they do not work, I had the same problem with mine about 5 years ago and had them replaced. For a while I had to get into my car from the back hatch!!!!!!!!!!

Luckly my car is not driven in the winter so I wouldn't have that problem today even if there were still cracked.

Bottom line - just replace them and your problems will be fixed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts