Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately the temps here in Ga. has been low 40s which is pretty cold for me. On a cold start the needle stays a notch from the bottom for a while especially when on the HWY. A shop put a new thermostat in when I had my new heads/intake done 3 months ago. After my car ran hot on me last week I installed a new thermo myself and changed the coolant.. I thought an insufficient mix of coolant/water could cause overheating also. Well I havent had any overheating problems but after driving the car for a while, the needle wants to creep toward halfway and sometimes slightly past. All of a sudden it would just drop dramatically and sometimes it would go back up.. It hasn't reached the redzone yet though thank goodness.. Someone mention it could be the sensor..If so where is it located? . what else could cause this? I thought the needle was suppose to raise to a stable temp and stay? Not floating up or down on the gauge..

Any help would be appreciated:confused:

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I very much doubt it's the sensor. It is screwd into the front of the lower intake, driver's side.

Are you sure the thermo is installed correctly? Spring side in toward the engine?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MinionII said:
I very much doubt it's the sensor. It is screwd into the front of the lower intake, driver's side.

Are you sure the thermo is installed correctly? Spring side in toward the engine?
I had ford install the thermostat...I know it's an easy task but just to make sure I took it to them..

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
hmmm......mechanics do make the easy mistakes at times. I'd open her up and take a peak. All it is is two bolts and a gasket...

Prehaps could be air in the coolant passages. If so it will work its way out over time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts