Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 93 GT and the first thing i'm doing is weight reduction. Taking out the ac equipment, smog pump, aluminum driveshaft, spare and jack, and back seats, then geat some decent plastic bucket seats. I am building a drag car. I dont go around corners fast because I don't like it and have 3.5 welds on the front. So should I take off my sway bar and what will it do.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Get rid of it. You will notice a difference in handling, but from what you have said it will be worth it to you. You lose weight and the front end will come up better and transfer weight to the back tires better.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Out of everything you can do to the front of the car for drag racing, removing the sway bar is the one thing that will be the most noticable when you get into a corner. I drove around without mine for a long time. It was cool, especially when you goose it from a stop, it will pick up the left side more. After reinstalling it and taking a few on/off ramps at speed, I'll leave it on.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yank that sucker off! There is a bit of difference in handling wise, but not an extreme difference, and that is only ir your car has stock everything suspensiong. If your car is lowered, you won't notice a single difference at all. A buddy of mine was a little scared of taking it off his Cobra, but I finally persuaded him, and now he tells me that he doesn't notice a single difference.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
If a guy says he can tell no difference at all, he's full of ****. The difference you will feel will depend on the suspension, but if there was no difference, then explain why it's there in the first place? I can even tell a difference with the rear sway bar removed in certain circumstances. Give it a try and see for yourself, that's the only way you will know. Opinions are like ********.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Has anybody tried the Steeda dragracing sway bar? Supposed to be less stiff and almost half the weight.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey thanks sooo

All I have on my car is weld wheels with 3.5's in front , max. motorsports caster and camber plates, h and r 1 inch lowereing springs and bilstein valve struts. So from what i heard i should pull it off if i dont go around corners fast and making this car for the strip. Am I correct. What about a max mtrsprt k member and strut tower brace. Im putting on sub conn. soon.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have a stock suspensioned 93 AOD GT and I was stuck at 14.005 forever. A friend recommended yanking the sway bar and I immediately went 13.98.

I notice it's missing when I'm taking a highway off-ramp. For a track-only car I'd pull it.

________
Rich
13.71 @ 101.59
My 1993 GT Page

·
Registered
873 Posts
If it's a drag cars... get rid of those lowering springs!! Lowering springs are too stiff for drag racing! They defeat the purpose.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
GreyLX306 said:
....I can even tell a difference with the rear sway bar removed in certain circumstances..
Why would you ever remove the rear swaybar?? It helps in every circumstance! Roadracing or dragracing always leave the rear sway on.

Anyways remove the front sway on the car beings your going dragging.... Weight transfer is well worth it and will help your times.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
sorry about hijacking the thread... but what difference will there be on a stock mustang when the rear sway bar is removed?

my car is missing one i am just curious (i will get a junk yard one whenever the car gets on the road)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey ill put stock springs back on the rear

yeah I bought the car lowered. I'm going to leave the lowering ones on front and put stock on back so when launching my car will be about level.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Slow93Colt said:
Just got a 93 GT and the first thing i'm doing is weight reduction. Taking out the ac equipment, smog pump, aluminum driveshaft, spare and jack, and back seats, then geat some decent plastic bucket seats. I am building a drag car. I dont go around corners fast because I don't like it and have 3.5 welds on the front. So should I take off my sway bar and what will it do.
Ditch the sway bar. I have had my 90 coupe running on the street for the last 2 seasons without the front sway bar. Yes, there is more side-to-side movement of the front end in high-speeed conering situations, but that is a fair trade off for the added weight transfer you will achieve at the strip without it. The benefit of NOT having the sway bar on the front at the strip is the added weight transfer to the rear tires on launch.

More weight transfer to the rear tires = more traction = better 60' foot times = better ETs in *almost* all circumstances. Instead of taking corners/offramps at 65mph, take them at 50mph and you'll be fine. If you want to keep the front sway-bar, consider removing the D/S bar link before heading to the track. Removing the link takes the bar out of the equation and gives you almost the same traction benefits minus the weight savings ( the bar and mounts equal about 28 pounds or so).

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Runs5s

Reason of rear swaybar removal, lakewood trac bars. The trac bars actually do a pretty good job keeping the rear stable. I don't run the trac bars on the street all the time. Thus I've driven with no sway bars and I think my buddy's Grand Marquis corners better.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Re: hey ill put stock springs back on the rear

Slow93Colt said:
yeah I bought the car lowered. I'm going to leave the lowering ones on front and put stock on back so when launching my car will be about level.
get the lowering springs out of the front too man....sell them as a set...get a set of 4 cylinder springs in the front with the skinnies and no sway bar and hold on....you hook up(with drag radials or slicks) your gonna pull the wheels even with nothing done to the motor
Jim

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hey jazcat2001 really?

Hey good idea. Well I just pulled the sway bar, smog pump, and everything in ac unit except comp. cause kit comes wed. Then getting a taylor aluminum batt relocation kit to back right.I def. am going to sell the springs. Will the bilstein struts work with stock length springs. So what do you mean with my skinnies and 4 cyl springs the wheels will pull. You mean left wheel off the ground. No way.!1!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
with the right conditions ive seen both wheels leave the ground...that car was putting out some power though(ran an 11.07 on that run)
Jim

·
Registered
8,406 Posts
Ditch it

You'll see an improvement in weight transfer.

What kind of lowering springs are in the rear? I'd leave them if you're using the stock control arms. A stiff rear spring is good in a drag car, and lowering the back of the car with the stock mounting points for the control arms gives better instant center location.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hey

I have h and r 1 inch lowering all the way around with bilstein valve struts. I have no chassis work or upper and lowers done all of its stock. Gotta save some money for that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts