Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've got 2.73's right now...and i like running 2k @ 80 on the highway....in the future i'll be going twin turbos, but its still a few years off....i was wondering if there is ANY reason why i shouldn't get 3.73's......

also, what rpm do you run at 80 in 5th?...

thnx all

·
Registered
158 Posts
3:73's

i like 'em. i think i'm running 3200-3500 going 80. i'll have to check that. going from memory. the car is more alive with the high gears. more fun to drive.

checked on the way home last night. 2600ish rpm for 80. i guess i was a little off. i also drive 30= miles one way to work. love the 3:73's.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
since this is my daily driver and i do some highway here and there (at least 2-3 times / week) would i be better with 3.55's or even 3.27's ?

·
Registered
188 Posts
3.73 at least

SHaFT7 said:
since this is my daily driver and i do some highway here and there (at least 2-3 times / week) would i be better with 3.55's or even 3.27's ?
How fast do you need to go on the highway? I do a lot of highway driving too, I usually cruise around 75 and thats about 2500rpm, that's about as fast as I can go without feeling like I'm spinning the hell out of the engine. I can get 20+mpg at that speed. You won't believe how well it pulls in fifth gear though, you won't need to downshift to pass anymore. And about downshifting, if I can manipulate the clutch right I can scratch the tires on any downshift(with my car N/A with street tires,even the 5-4 shift at 75mph). Go ahead and get the 3.73s, they're a lot of fun, and you have to remember that saying "Never fear the gear"

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok then, looks like i'm diving in!

i guess if it turns out and i hate them, i can always find someone to sell them to or trade for lesser gear

thnx all :D

(new suspension going in tomorrow!)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just swapped my 3.73 out for 3.27 because of the blower. I loved the 3.73 NA but they were way too much for the blower. If your going to stay NA for a couple of years, get them. You can always swap them out later when you put the turbos on if YOU feel it's necessary. 4th gear was good for 105-110 mph.

Keith

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Re: 3:73's

white92notch said:
i like 'em. i think i'm running 3200-3500 going 80. i'll have to check that. going from memory. the car is more alive with the high gears. more fun to drive.
have you changed you r speedo gear??:confused: I have 3.73 and about 90mph i'm turning basically 3k. At 80 i'm doing about 2600

·
Registered
158 Posts
speedo gears

speedo gears...i'm running the purple gear (part #?). the speedo is fast buy about 5-8mph @ 100mph (don't ask). i'm showing 105ish at 100. i have the white jeep gear but haven't installed it. i understand that they have a tendency to loose teeth and don't want all that plastic floating aroung in the tranny. the white gear should put me spot on. hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok then, running 2600 at 80 is absolutely no problem for me..running at 3200 is a little more undesireable

thnx guys :D

hopefully they'll go in tomorrow with my new suspension

·
Registered
233 Posts
alright, so reading the above comments. I have a stock tranny and rear in my car at the moment. was thinking of upgrading to 3.73. I drive on the highway everyday, but only about 9 miles, one way and am able to cruise about 75-80 at anywhere between 2000-2500 RPMs. would 3.73's be a good upgrade or should I stick with something like 3.55?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have 3.73 and love them. I cruse at 75 to 80 mph and run about 2700 to 2800 RPM. I'll confirm this on the way home today.

I drive 30 miles round trip to work each day with about 75% of that on the highway and my 3.73's are great. They also make driving around at slower speeds easier because I can now use my 5th gear for that nasty 40 - 45 mph range where 5th seemed to be too high a gear.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
If you're going twin-turbo soon DO NOT get the 3.73's. I have a blower which sees boost much later than a turbo does, and I don't like my 3.73's. Sure if you want to waste power by spinning the tires all day long then it's fine. A lot of turbo guys are running 3.27's some have 3.55's. I've heard some tried 3.73's and hated it, some even hated 3.55's.
3.73's are great n/a, but I'm definitely stepping down to 3.55's now that the blower is on.
It's important to take your planned combo into consideration when making the choice. So if you plan on a TT kit soon I can assure you that buying 3.73's would be a waste of money...but if you plan on staying n/a then they would be a good choice. Best of luck

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
like i said earlier, i'm going TT's eventually, but $4000 for the kit is still pretty far off.... a couple of years at the least.....

3.73's it is :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
SHaFT7 said:
like i said earlier, i'm going TT's eventually, but $4000 for the kit is still pretty far off.... a couple of years at the least.....

3.73's it is :D
You won't regret it. 3.73s are great for a daily driver. 4.10s are better for an AOD, I regret not getting them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.