Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Griffin 31x19 NASCAR radiator and I am trying to figure out how to convert to teflon stainless braided hoses and AN fittings. Can someone tell me part#s and where I can get them for a decent price? Also, my FMU has 1/4" rubber hoses and I want to convert to teflon stainless braided hoses on those. Any help would be greatly appreciated. ;)

Does Earl's or Russel or anyone make a kit for mustangs?

Thanks! :joy:

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
My advise would be to forget the teflon braided hose for several reasons. First, it's only available up to -12 which is way too small for radiator hose. Even if it were available in the size you needed it is WAY more expensive then rubber braided hose and the end fittings are more than twice the price of regular fittings. Also, teflon is not needed for water, rubber will do fine if you absolutely want braided water lines. Same goes for your FMU line, rubber braided will do just fine. One other thing just in case the above is not enough to convince you. Teflon lines and fittings are a special order item from places like Summit and will take 3-4 weeks to get.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
John91coupe said:
My advise would be to forget the teflon braided hose for several reasons. First, it's only available up to -12 which is way too small for radiator hose. Even if it were available in the size you needed it is WAY more expensive then rubber braided hose and the end fittings are more than twice the price of regular fittings. Also, teflon is not needed for water, rubber will do fine if you absolutely want braided water lines. Same goes for your FMU line, rubber braided will do just fine. One other thing just in case the above is not enough to convince you. Teflon lines and fittings are a special order item from places like Summit and will take 3-4 weeks to get.
Thanks John

I was aware they are expensive, but I guess since they aren't readily available in the long run they will be a pain in the ass if I ever have to replace them for some reason or another. So I should stick with rubber braided hose?

I found a stainless steel radiator hose on summit and it looks like a good idea. I mainly want it for the lower hose because my upper hose is already chrome and it looks really stupid right now with a blue lower and chrome upper. LOL! :)

What about the sizes for my FMU? Just buy 1/4" braided hoses for them and use the brass fittings that come with the FMU? It's a Paxton FMU.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Aren't the brass fittings barbed end? You could do it that way and use a hose clamp on the ends but that braided mesh likes to flare out on the ends when it is cut. That would probably work OK though. I think -4 line would be OK for the FMU. It has an inside diameter of 7/32" (.218"). If you wanted to go whole route then you would also need hose end fittings and AN adapters.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, they are barbed end fittings. I think I'll give it a try. If it works I will post some pictures of it. Another thought would be to use the sleeves and just run them over the standard rubber hoses? Heheh! :)

Thanks for your help! By the way, your car is unbelievable!! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts