Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive decided to piece together a Vortech kit for my car.

I contacted a tech over at SuperchargersOnline

He said and I quote:

"Pretty much the S-Trim, T-Trim, YSI-Trim will all fit. However normally those head units are to strong for the Cobra application."

and,

"Basically the CFM that the supercharger puts out was way to much. If with the largest pulley, the CFM was still to strong on the Cobra."

The last thread i started on "a good power adder other than nitrous"

The majority of the people who posted there told me that A S-trim vortech was the way to go.

Am i missing something here?

·
Premium Member
3,684 Posts
sounds like you need to talk to someone who knows wtf they are talking about LOL

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
... so i assume the "technician" was not a "technician".

I have a stock bottom end 98 cobra. Just trying to find a good power adder other than NOS, so i guess since u guys think this dude is crazy i will continue my search for a S-trim. Thanx!

·
Premium Member
3,684 Posts
i have tuned over 50 vortech blown cobras and sold probably 5 kits for them... If you have an specific questions, feel free to contact me.

·
Premium Member
3,684 Posts
Why not spend money with people that can offer more than from a dorm room tech support? Jesus....
Jay..

ive been trying to say this forever. People like to purchase stuff from the cheapest route possible and then complain when it doesnt fit or is the wrong stuff. You and I spend hrs on here answering tech questions when we should be out tuning or answering the phones!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for your response. Im not going to buy general stuff and try to make it work. What i had in mind was getting the Base vortech supercharger kit (which from what i understand is everything but the headunit) For 1500. then find a low millage V1 S-Trim. So i wont have to buy a whole new kit, just everything but the headunit will be new. And im going to make sure its for my exact car so i wont have to complain ^_^

The kit im talking about is here

·
Premium Member
3,684 Posts
did you know that you can get a BRAND NEW tuner kit for around $2500?? Are you willing to risk purchasing a used head unit to save a few dollars? Just an FYI

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
did you know that you can get a BRAND NEW tuner kit for around $2500?? Are you willing to risk purchasing a used head unit to save a few dollars? Just an FYI
O__O No i did not. I though i couldn't get one new for under 3.5k. More INFO!!! thats the way im gonna go then.

Thank you for bringing that to my attention... I guess im such a n00b just didnt look in the right place.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Just call Bob and get it from him. I did and he has always been there when I had a question or needed something else.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
sounds to me like you talked to someone who doesnt know much about blowers, or the car for that matter. An S-trim is a great upgrade to a 98 cobra as long as you keep it safe while still on the stock shortblock. I have an SC trim on my 98 and make 380/360 at the tires on 6 psi and a really safe tune.

I like superchargersonline for their prices and I would have thought at least they knew a lil bit but I guess it doesnt take a smart topic educated person to answer the phone and take calls. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Mr. Kurgan just got a kit for me. In addition, excellent tech support, good info, great price. Not only does he sell the stuff but the knowledge and years of experience are important. Price should not always be your number one reason for buying from someone. it great when you have good follow-up and advice. I just can understand why Bob was wearing shorts when it was 7 degrees outside !!!!!!
:D:D:D

·
Premium Member
3,684 Posts
thanks for the Props guys!!!

·
Registered
991 Posts
I may be wrong on this but I've always heard that the SC-trim was originally designed for the '96-98 N/A Cobras.
Maybe there was a technical reason for this.
The guy might not have been totally wrong about the S-trim??

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I may be wrong on this but I've always heard that the SC-trim was originally designed for the '96-98 N/A Cobras.
Maybe there was a technical reason for this.
The guy might not have been totally wrong about the S-trim??
I think you are correct as I remember similar as I tried to buy the SC-SQ head unit from that kit and they refused to sell it to me, so I now have a KB. The base systems Vortech sells for the '96-'98 Cobra are still the SC-trim. They do sell a "high output" S-Trim system with an intercooler that they claim puts you at about 410 RWHP - approaching the approx. 450 RWHP limit for the stock bottom end IIRC.

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
Yes, the SC trim was originally for the high-rpm Cobra motors. That's why the impellars are cut back - the boost comes on later and is more suited for a Cobra motor. With that said, I'm sure many people have used S trims on Cobra motors with no problems.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts