Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not on a 5.0 or even a Mustang, but the same thoughts should apply. It's on my 97 GTP.

Yesterday the car started to run a little warmer then usual. When I was pulling up to my house it shot up to 260. :eek: Today I replaced the t stat and still the same thing. I pulled the new stat out and put the new and old stats into a pot of boiling water and they both opened about the same amount. About 1/4 of an inch.

Is that enough for an attiquate (sp) amount of water to flow threw?

I called the parts store to ask if that was enough. I know how some of you love part store guys. He said that was enough. He asked me what I herd when I poped the hood when it was over heating. I told him that I could hear water boiling in the radiator and in the over flow can. His first and only suggestion was a blown head gasket that was leaking exhaust into the coolent.

There is tons of gunk in the over flow can Could a peace of gunk get lodged realy good and slow the flow?

Anyways the real ? is what would your plan of attack be. What would you replace and in what order?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I am guessing you either blew a head gasket, have a clogged radiator, or your water pump went out on you....water pump being my first guess. WHat you want to do is fill the radiator up until it stops taking water. Hopefully you can see the water inside the radiator from the fill cap. Start up the car once its full, then let it idle and come up to temp with the cap open. Once its at the thermostat's temp, you should see water circling throught hte radiator and splashing around the fill hole. If thats happening, your good to go, if not you have a bad water pump.....unless you blew a head gasket also while overheating it. To check if a head gasket is bad, look for a white substance under your oil fill cap, or water droplets on your dipstick tube in the morning after it sat for a while along with your oil looking more like milkshake than oil. Another way you can tell if water pumps go bad is to look for coolant leaking throught he weep hole in the pump, it will be a little hole somewhere in the casing of the pump, usually pointing down.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Is your fan kicking on?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep the fans are kicking on.

Oil and oil cap look as normal as can be. No water or white substance can be seen. I just put it all back togather from flushing the ratiator. I'll try looking in the radiator for sloshing tomarrow I have the flu and am just to tired now to mess with it.

One question about watching if the water in the ratiator is sloshing around. How do I tell that from the water boiling?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Good advice on water pump, head gasket. Head gasket failure can also over pressurize radiator, causing radiator cap to open. Radiator caps rated between 12 - 16 lbs pressure before they burp. Boiling noise described to parts store could have suggested this to them. excess water vapor in exaust plume will also indicate head gasket failure.

Solution? If you replace your cooling system, you get a clean sweep on trouble shooting. Autozone water pumps are LIFETIME warranty for about 40.00. Rod and core radiator 50.00. This would be my first chore. Any hose's even look suspect, consider replacing them. Cooling is cheap compared to top end overhaul.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts