Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I know what your all thinking, why a tach on a 03 but it was laying around and I love the way a Sport Comp Auto Meter looks when mounted right so I said what the hell....

But after checking the Steeda catalog I noticed a tach adapter they sell for 50 bucks, and wondered is this really the only way? Can I dial into the factory tach line that feeds the digital gage feature in the test mode? Anyone have any answers? By the way I got my Mach One grill delete on my DSG GT and it looks f'ing sweet! The steeda boys sell a great kit with great instructions!

JTR

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
NOpe a tach adapter is a MUST for a tach to work in our cars.

·
Registered
642 Posts
It depends on what brand of tach adapter you use. Our tach adapter taps into 3 wires at the PCM and is mustang specific, while Autometer and others tap into wires in the engine bay and are brand generic.

These instructions should give you some ideas:

http://www.ponyexpressperformance.com/tachinstall.html

·
Registered
200 Posts
96HskerCobra said:
It depends on what brand of tach adapter you use. Our tach adapter taps into 3 wires at the PCM and is mustang specific, while Autometer and others tap into wires in the engine bay and are brand generic.

These instructions should give you some ideas:

http://www.ponyexpressperformance.com/tachinstall.html
+1 for this adapter

I'm running one and the install was very easy. Haven't had any problems with it and it seems real accurate.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I am interested in performing the same install. Does that tach adapter work with any aftermarket tach? Thanks

·
Formerly FL Zinc
1,840 Posts
I have the ponyexpress one and its a piece of cake. I hate electrical and computer stuff and it was even easy for me. Three wires, just find em and clip the thing on.

On a side note, when I installed mine, the harness on the computer was reversed from the diagram, well not reversed top to bottom but left to right. Say for example(I din't remember the specific pin #'s) pin 1 was on the bottom right on the instructions, pin 1 was on the top right in my car. Pin 798 was three over from the right on the second row from the bottom in the instructions and on my car, pin 798 was three over from the right on the third row from the bottom. Does that make any sense to anyone? Me either, but make sure you check the hole # and the color of the wire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts