Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my transmission out to do the rear main seal and noticed there was a drip of fluid on the tail shaft seal.

Should I go ahead and replace the seal or is that "normal."

Also if I'm going to do the seal should I go ahead and do the bushing as well?

If so what are the torque specs for the tail shaft housing?

Thanks!

·
Registered
90 Mustang 5.0 5spd, 400+ HP
196 Posts
Any drip is not normal. You should replace the bushing and seal. You'll need a press to do it correctly, or at least a bushing driver tool.

The easiest way to do it correctly, is take it to your local transmission shop and have them replace both for $20-30 (parts + labor).

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any drip is not normal. You should replace the bushing and seal. You'll need a press to do it correctly, or at least a bushing driver tool.

The easiest way to do it correctly, is take it to your local transmission shop and have them replace both for $20-30 (parts + labor).
Ok thanks. I have a driver set. Just need the torque specs for the tail housing.

·
Registered
90 Mustang 5.0 5spd, 400+ HP
196 Posts
It's 23 ft. lbs

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Honestly I’ve usually just lived with a small drip on the tail housing, it really doesn’t effect fluid level unless it’s BAD.

The housing doesn’t just pop off, it’s much easier with the trans on the bench to remove it.

·
Registered
495 Posts
If it's out, do both the bushing and seal. I would double check the yoke to make sure that doesn't have a wear spot on it. May want to replace the yoke, especially if you see a step change in the diameter. Drip could just be residual from pulling the driveshaft out, but why chance it? Rubber doesn't last forever, and neither does that bronze bushing.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Couldn’t hurt since it’s out of the car. I’d just call a reputable trans shop and see how much it would be if you just brought them the trans and they did it. Couldn’t be too much.

·
Registered
36,579 Posts
Anyone searching around that needs to replace the T5 tailshaft housing bushing (and you'll have to replace the seal as part of the job) - I recently decided to buy this tool. And let me tell you, it makes the job a piece of cake. Extracts the old bush with the simple turn of a 15/16" wrench or socket. And use the same tool to drive the new one in with a hammer. The way the tool is designed, it can not damage the lip of the bush as you will certainly do if you try to put one in place with a hammer and screw driver (happens all the time).

You'll find there's a lot of variation in replacement bushes that are available.

The length of the bush, how they manage getting lube onto the yoke and the ID all vary by type. The original "Ford" branded bush I pulled out of mine (the one in the middle) was different than 2 others I bought as replacements. The shorter bush is the Amazon special -- I don't recommend it. It fit even looser than the worn original bush I was trying to replace! The minor vibration I was experiencing was as bad or worse with the new Amazon bush -- total waste of time and effort. I ended up going with the longer bush on the end. Available through NPD -- 7A034-1, BUSHING, EXTENSION HOUSING.

You want a good, snug fit around the yoke. I believe the best bush is the one with the square hole in it that allows a steady flow of fluid to lube the yoke. It's also longer than the Ford bush that came out of mine -- so it provides even more support for the yoke. If your old bush is bad it's likely it's worn your yoke also. Measure with calipers - should measure out at 1.500". Anything in the yoke you can catch your fingernail in = replace the yoke, or you'll just tear up the new bush.

Lastly, test fit the new bush to your yoke. Mine was so snug I couldn't push it on by hand - and it wasn't exactly "round". So I used the calipers/vice to gently 'bend' it round. And then I used 400 grit sandpaper with soap/water to slowly remove a bit of material from inside the bush. Go slow - remove too much, and the bush goes in the trash can. I got a good snug fit that I could BARELY get on/off by hand. Then I installed it. I found that the press fit reduced the ID just a hair -- making it a bit snugger than I was comfortable with trying to put the driveshaft in place. So I used the tool (90 seconds) to remove the bush -- and removed another thousandth or two with the sand paper. Voila -- nice snug fit in the car. The beauty of this tool is it makes removal and installation a piece of cake --- so custom fitting the bush becomes relatively easy. Note (edit) - if you use the bush with the square hole - be sure to place the hole over the lube channel in the housing -- you'll see it at about 4 o'clock as you're looking into the tailshaft housing opening from under the car.

So there ya go. If you'd like to 'rent' the tool from me - shoot me a PM. Happy to discuss. It's the ONLY way to do this job.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Really good info Michael. You have a p/n on the tool used?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone searching around that needs to replace the T5 tailshaft housing bushing (and you'll have to replace the seal as part of the job) - I recently decided to buy this tool. And let me tell you, it makes the job a piece of cake. Extracts the old bush with the simple turn of a 15/16" wrench or socket. And use the same tool to drive the new one in with a hammer. The way the tool is designed, it can not damage the lip of the bush as you will certainly do if you try to put one in place with a hammer and screw driver (happens all the time).

You'll find there's a lot of variation in replacement bushes that are available.

The length of the bush, how they manage getting lube onto the yoke and the ID all vary by type. The original "Ford" branded bush I pulled out of mine (the one in the middle) was different than 2 others I bought as replacements. The shorter bush is the Amazon special -- I don't recommend it. It fit even looser than the worn original bush I was trying to replace! The minor vibration I was experiencing was as bad or worse with the new Amazon bush -- total waste of time and effort. I ended up going with the longer bush on the end. Available through NPD -- 7A034-1, BUSHING, EXTENSION HOUSING.

You want a good, snug fit around the yoke. I believe the best bush is the one with the square hole in it that allows a steady flow of fluid to lube the yoke. It's also longer than the Ford bush that came out of mine -- so it provides even more support for the yoke. If your old bush is bad it's likely it's worn your yoke also. Measure with calipers - should measure out at 1.500". Anything in the yoke you can catch your fingernail in = replace the yoke, or you'll just tear up the new bush.

Lastly, test fit the new bush to your yoke. Mine was so snug I couldn't push it on by hand - and it wasn't exactly "round". So I used the calipers/vice to gently 'bend' it round. And then I used 400 grit sandpaper with soap/water to slowly remove a bit of material from inside the bush. Go slow - remove too much, and the bush goes in the trash can. I got a good snug fit that I could BARELY get on/off by hand. Then I installed it. I found that the press fit reduced the ID just a hair -- making it a bit snugger than I was comfortable with trying to put the driveshaft in place. So I used the tool (90 seconds) to remove the bush -- and removed another thousandth or two with the sand paper. Voila -- nice snug fit in the car. The beauty of this tool is it makes removal and installation a piece of cake --- so custom fitting the bush becomes relatively easy. Note (edit) - if you use the bush with the square hole - be sure to place the hole over the lube channel in the housing -- you'll see it at about 4 o'clock as you're looking into the tailshaft housing opening from under the car.

So there ya go. If you'd like to 'rent' the tool from me - shoot me a PM. Happy to discuss. It's the ONLY way to do this job.
Hey Michael,

I can't send a PM since I'm new to the forum but if that tool is available I'd appreciate being able to rent it! Thanks!

·
Registered
36,579 Posts
It's currently in Washington State being rented out by another member. If you're still interested give me a ring and we'll talk it through! Seven 04 Nine nine 6 four 4 nine three -- eastern time zone. May be able to have him ship directly to you when he's done with it. Michael

Reactions: elTango6

·
Registered
36,579 Posts
96pushrod -- Pic below is the closest thing I've got. I had a devil of a time finding one. The first two places I ordered online, only to have the sellers contact me and tell me that they didn't actually have it. Third one was the charm -- and no, I can't remember where I got it; some transmission supply house in Louisiana as I recall. About $240.

Font Camera accessory Lamp Gas Audio equipment

·
Registered
36,579 Posts
From another post --- This tool is a JT-0160A, "Universal transmission extension housing bushing tool".

Household hardware Tap Font Gas Cylinder

·
Registered
2 Posts
Michael I really do appreciate the offer! I was searching around today and ran into the same problem. No one actually had it in stock, even though their website said otherwise.

Funny enough, I called what I'm sure is that same shop in Louisiana and they had just sold the last one to a walk-in customer yesterday. Only other place I found that actually had the tool was eBay under part# T-0160-A

·
Registered
36,579 Posts
You've got my number -- reach out to me if you're interested.

·
Registered
9,471 Posts
Funny enough, I called what I'm sure is that same shop in Louisiana and they had just sold the last one to a walk-in customer yesterday. Only other place I found that actually had the tool was eBay under part# T-0160-A
Thanks. I was able to find it on Ebay and put it on my watch list.

EXTENSION HSG BUSHING REMOVER/INSTALLER | eBay

Pricey for what it is, but if it saves having to pull the tailhousing off, it's worth every penny in time/labor

1 - 20 of 24 Posts