Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has done it twice in the last month or so...
Has anyone had this problem?
What causes it?
Will it lead to something worse?
Thanks
Brad

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I can think of two things that might cause the condition.

First of all it sounds like you may have excessive endplay in your mainshaft assembly. When you downshift the thrust loading of the mainshaft is causing the mainshaft to shift forward in the case and the second gear clutch teeth move away from the synchro sleeve, hence the slipping out of gear. This is most likely due to worn bearings from high mileage. It isn't going to go away on it's own and will get worse. It will lead to more problems and possibly catastrophic failure if left unattended to.

A second possibility is it could be a bent shift fork and/or worn shift pads. In any case I would suggest a basic rebuild before something expensive breaks. you should be able to get a basic rebuild for something around $350-$400 if you take the transmission to them. Sounds like a good time to take care of any clutch concerns while your at it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
second gear

My car did that when i bought it to. Mine was rounded teath on the second gear, must of been from the previous owner not shifting right. It cost me $500 to have my world class T5 rebuilt.

Later
Brian.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If all else is correct, as clutch adjustment, clutch not worn out, etc....rebuild the T-5.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My stock tranny does that sometimes. Not just down revving, but sometimes I guess I don't have it all the way in gear.

o well

1 - 6 of 6 Posts