Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I took the car in to the Dealer and they are gonna replace my T-45 with the TR3650.
My question is what are the differences between the 2 Trannys.
I know that the 1st Gear ratio's are different:

T-45:3.37
TR3650:3.77

But what does this mean to me...Better performance??

Will this tranny hold up longer than my T45...Can it handle more HP and TQ?

·
Registered
545 Posts
It is what came in my Cobra. They use them for the mid 01 GT and newer, I think.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
crap, I didn't know the first gear was so low.

There have been good and bad things said about both transmissions. The 3650 seems to be more difficult to shift, in most people's opinions, but it supposedly has a higher torque capacity.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ok I have a T-45 in my 98GT. I have broke it once and it grinds now going into second. The 3650 in my Cobra on the other hand seems to be able to take abuse better. The first gear is same in both 3.37.

http://www.corral.net/articles/2003Cobra/Page_03

The 3650 breaks easy to though. Mustang and Fast Fords broke one in their test of a 2001 Cobra. One cool thing about the 3650 is reverse is synchronize. I never grinded going into reverse even when moving forward at 2 to 3 mph.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Speeddemon - your cobra has the same mods as mine - except I have a VRS x pipe with cats. Have you dyno'ed yours?

You're in Roswell too....lots of ATL stangers on here. Do you ever find any other stang guys around to hang out and talk cars with?

Kind of new to town, and trying to find some guys around. I know there's a group that cruises around up in Kennesaw.

·
Registered
556 Posts
There is a known problem with complete failure of the TR-3650 in a small number of 2001 models.

A better question to ask is: How many people with 2002 Mustangs have broken their TR-3650?

Jeff

·
Registered
570 Posts
The transmissions use different shifters (separate aftermarket parts for the T-45 and TR-3650). From what I remember, when installing an aftermarket shifter for the TR-3650, you have to remove something from the transmission and attach it on to the shifter. You do not do that for the T-45. Just reminding you to get a new shifter, and to remove the one you currently have on before going to the dealer.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
96MC said:
The transmissions use different shifters (separate aftermarket parts for the T-45 and TR-3650). From what I remember, when installing an aftermarket shifter for the TR-3650, you have to remove something from the transmission and attach it on to the shifter. You do not do that for the T-45. Just reminding you to get a new shifter, and to remove the one you currently have on before going to the dealer.
I already Put the Stock Piece of Crap back on...Ill probably sell my TRI-Ax and get another one...or I might get the Blue Thunder Shifter from UPR (Its a Combo of the TRI-Ax and Pro 5.0)

They ordered the tranny for me Im just trying to get some feedback from people who have had both and/or people who Have the TR-3650.

·
Registered
570 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts