Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Corral Charter Member
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...I put 2 new input shafts in the mail today, in an effort to make them live in my T45, and avoid what happened last year....

That's four of the five (yes, 5) I broke between July and December.

They are headed for Ian Mullane (HIPSI), who is going to massage the area where the shaft narrows at the end of the splines. This is being done to relieve the 'stress risers' that are created where the input shaft necks down.

Once he is done with them, they are going to be sent to Dan Young at Extreme Thermal Cycling in Appleton, WI (Thanks Al!). The procedure Dan is using is called "thermal Cycling", and he is quite confident that he can significantly increase the strength of the input shafts. Of note, he works with all metals, polymers, and a variety of other materials. If somebody is interested in looking into some of his work, his number is 920-380-0305. VERY knowledgeable individual.

So I am hopeful that I can make the damn things live. In addition to the above, I'll also be swapping my stock flywheel for an aluminum one when the worked input shafts go in. The idea is to lessen the shock a bit.

I got my fingers crossed. :)

·
Registered
684 Posts
What is the cost of this process? If I were to do the same, would I have them back before NMRA Maple Grove or the Modular Shootout?

Also, what happens when that input shaft bearing goes out? Would it make a squealing noise, with the clutch disengaged (pedal in) and the engine idling and fully warmed up. I think that is my problem right now. I have already installed a brand new clutch and replaced the throw-out bearing twice now and the squealing is still there when the car is warmed up and at each start-up. We think its the input shaft bearing. Any ideas?

Thanks, Jason

·
Registered
495 Posts
Good luck Bob.

I wonder what the next weak link will be? Will it be endless or is this the only problem you have had? I've been told the shift forks break all the time, any aftermarket parts out there for them?

I have my drag radials on the way so may be breaking my trans shortly..

Jason.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Here's a link to the guys who make the machines and a lot more detail on how the process works.

http://www.coldfusiontechnologies.com/

Also for you guys in the South Precision Shaft Technologies in Clearwater also does cyro treaments of parts. I don't think they are related the the PST in WI. though. Their website is http://www.pstds.com

Bob glad to see you got something useful out of that last thread. Of course now that you have more then likely resolved the input shaft problem the next weakest link is about to rear its ugly head.

·
Corral Charter Member
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eeerrr...I goofed on the name of the place. It is Extreme Thermal Cycling. I've gone back and edited my post. Dan mentioned Precision Shaft Technologies in Clearwater, I wrote it down, then got em mixed up. Sorry. :)

Jason...he said turnaround time is about 48 hours once he gets them. He said its like $5 per pound (an input shaft is 5 lbs), but there is a $100 minimum. I'm sending him 2 input shafts, and I think Ian might send 2 also, so that will make it right at $25 per, plus shipping, of course.

I suppose your problem could be the input shaft bearing - perhaps even excessive end-play, now the your tranny has been abused a bit? LOL.

Jason....In all the passes I've made, using 3 different tranny's, I've busted 1 syncro. I suppose that is likely the next weekest link. Of note, Dan said he can and will do any parts...including syncro's and shifter forks. Tis a thought.

Outside of busting a syncro, next weakest link is the 31 Spline Traction Lock. I think I'll be ok on DR's....but wait till I put it on slicks this fall.... :)

·
Registered
684 Posts
Could you elaborate on the excessive endplay for me please? Very curious. What exactly are you talking about and what should I look for?

The car is down until NMRA Maple Grove so now is the opportune time to get this done. If its a $100 minimum, I may just send him the input shaft, all the synchros, and the forks. New parts of course.:D Anything else in the tranny that would be good to have this treatment done on?

I WANT TO FINALLY POWERSHIFT and have a decent chance of not breaking stuff!!!

Thanks, Jason

EDIT again: I need a spell checker.:D

·
Corral Charter Member
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Grab the end of the input shaft and try to move it fore and aft, and also up and down. It should have a slight bit of play up and down, but none fore and aft. Hard to describe what 'slight' bit is though. Sorry. :) Also, pull the bellhousing off and look at the bearing for obvious signs of problems. Beyond that, I don't know.

I think sending the input shaft, shift forks, syncro's, and if you have them, the gears, is a real good plan.

Bob

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Bob, I have gotten a little lost on all the variations you are testing. I know the TKO has shown hp loss so thats the primary reason your going back to a T-45, if the only difference in design between a 3550 and TKO is the different spline input/output shafts why is your decision to use a T-45 instead of the 3550 or is the hp loss gonna occur with the 3550 also?

·
Corral Charter Member
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 3550 and TKO are identical save for the input and output shafts. As such, the HP would also be the same (or very nearly so).

·
Registered
213 Posts
jmeiers said:

If its a $100 minimum, I may just send him the input shaft, all the synchros, and the forks.

D
I am interested in doing this also. I keep breaking my synchros and shift forks, even with my aftermarket shifter. Jason, how do you plan on getting the forks and synchros out of the tranny? I hear you need special tools to take the T-45 apart, that's the reason I haven't tackled this job yet. Let me know what you plan to do.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Bob: is there any benefit to the 3650 that the newer GT's use? I'm pretty sure it is different than the 3550 you are talking about. Isn't that a tremec tranny and the 3650 is a stock Ford tranny made by tremec? Curious if there is any benefit to upgrading and if so, what it is. Also, I'm guessing the input shaft for the TKO, if it is stronger, is not a direct drop in upgrade to the T-45.

Also, since you now seem to be the unfortunate tranny breakage expert, what shifter do you use and have you had any problems with any of them?

·
Corral Charter Member
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 3650 isn't at all like the 3550 or TKO. It is also quite different from the T45, though it will bolt right up to a 99-present Mustang. However, they are 25 lbs heavier than a T45, and have a constant-mesh reverse, so it is likely that there would be a bit extra power draw, whilst I have no idea if the input shaft would live.

Tremec makes the T45, T56, 3650, 3550, and TKO.

The TKO isn't a direct drop in, due mainly to the input shaft requiring a clutch change. The 3550 does not require a clutch change, and would need only a speedo gear and some minor mods to the cross-member. I posted a TKO install thread a while back. Do a search if you would like to read up on it.

The shifter has nothing to do with my problems. I use a Pro 5.0, and have had good luck with it.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Thanks Bob. Like I said, pure curiosity. Though one, thing. There shouldn't be any additional power draw from the 3650 over the T45. You have to figure, they changed the trannies in the middle of a model year and if it caused any rear wheel power loss, they would have had to do something about it. Constant mesh reverse synchro huh? You mean no more disappearing reverse gear? Would be nice for a change.

I also was just asking about the shifter because I figured if anyone could break one, you could. Figured if a shifter could survive with you, I'd have no problems with it. LOL. Best of luck to you.

Brian

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
(Thanks Al!).
You are welcome!I hope it works out..I also like the T-45.Check out the 5.4 thread..Dyno tune today,And it looks like i will be testing the T-56 input shaft's limits..LOL..Al

·
Registered
448 Posts
Bob, I'm assuming they wont let you use anything but a stock type trans? Can't go with something stronger?

Good luck on the improved input shaft. That's some power!

·
Registered
554 Posts
BMS said:
Though one, thing. There shouldn't be any additional power draw from the 3650 over the T45. You have to figure, they changed the trannies in the middle of a model year and if it caused any rear wheel power loss, they would have had to do something about it. Constant mesh reverse synchro huh? You mean no more disappearing reverse gear? Would be nice for a change.
Why couldn't it? They don't advertise the car with rwhp rating mearly flywheel HP. They don't care what additional losses occur at the wheels. I don't think the differences are as great as what Bob experienced with the TKO to T45 but I can see there being a few more ponies lost to it.

·
Corral Charter Member
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Brian....agree with BLKCobra01....there probably is a little...just not as much as what I was seeing with the TKO.

Al....lookin forward to those dyno numbers. :)

97DOHC...I can essentially run any Tremec. I like the TKO, but in a stock, heads-up class, 13 RWHP is huge.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Bob... You think you may have a chance to help me rip my tranny out in the next couple of weeks. Im going to drop the header tomorrow and get it all ready. I might even go ahead and pull the tranny. I dont know how good you are at tearing the trannys apart, but I have no 3 or 4 gear. It finally let go at the track last night. Mike said that you and him talked about it briefly yesterday. You wouldnt happen to have any spare T45's laying around, would ya? ;) Please let me know if you can help.

Lloyd.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts