Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I changed my transmission fluid today and before i had got to 3.5 quarts fluid started leaking out. I jacked the car up drained the fluid, put the car back down on the ground and began to refill using a hand pump. It was a tight squeeze getting the fluid back in through the fill plug but i was able to do it. Right around 3 quarts the fluid suddenly started leaking out. I was surprised by this and thought maybe I had created some sort of vacuum pressure with the pump so after the the fluid stopped leaking I pumped some more in. The same thing happened again after maybe half a quart. I then put my finger in the fill plug hole and could not feel any fluid. The leak was not coming from the drain plug and though i could not see the fill plug it did not seem to be coming from there either. Is there any explanation for this I am totally stumped. I thought maybe I had not drained all the fluid but I am pretty positive I did. Anyways I took it out for a test drive to see how it felt and it felt fine except for a slight whine so slight i could barely hear it. Any help would be appreciated. I am going to take it in tomorrow so someone can get it up on a lift and check the fill level. Please help.
Thanks

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
When I take the shifter out of my car, I can see the fluid level...So you probably go another problem...Might want to locate the source of your leak.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys,
Thanks for your responses, I took it to a friends shop got it up on the lift and it was full, no leak. Either I did not realize how much fluid I had put in or it did not drain fully. I believe the latter because it was jacked up just in the front. Either way it is shifting better than before I did the change.
Thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.