Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I'm getting ready to buy my t3550 next week. What I need is an exact list of what I will need to swap this into my 96 GT with a t45 getting the boot. Before you scream SEARCH the archives I should tell you I already have and I have gotten mixed messages. I know I need the 4.6 bell ( I am going with the tremec aluminum bell). What else is needed? Some people say I need a new driveshaft, others say I just need the yoke. Do I need a driveshaft spacer also? What about the crossmember? Any modifications? Will the speedometer be off? I have 3:73 gears and the speedometer is corrected. will this remain the same with the t3550? TIA.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? It's not like I'm asking what brand muffler to get!!!:p

·
Registered
307 Posts
Whats up,

Im assuming you have a 96 GT, and one good thing about this when up-grading to a Tremec 3550 or a TKO, you will not have to re-locate the tranny cross-member, its the only year modular Stang you wont have to do this, so it will save you some work.

You can use any clutch set-up that works with your T-45 tranny, (I prefer Mcleod clutch products, my customers have had great luck with thenm and thier 3550's or T-56's). You will have to purchase a 28 spline yoke and a drive shaft spacer, I belive D&D can help you on this one. Also purchase a Energy Suspension tranny mount.

I notice you decided to opt for the Tremec Aluminum BH, which is a good choice. Although it is probably much easier to deal with than the Lakewwod scattershield, I would still check the run-out on the bell-housing register bore just to make sure...but dont loose sleep if you decide not to, from what I've been told is the Tremec BH specs are more consistent than the Lakewood.

Tremec requires you to use GM Synchromesh tranny fluid p/n 1#12345349..you can get it at most GM dealers,,,buy 4 bottles.

You can use your T-45 speedo gear with your 3550..I used mine in my TKO and its pretty accurate.

Ive been using the stock Tremec shifter over a year now, but I will get a PRO 5.0 very soon.

A couple of tips...When bolting your Tremec to the bell housing, use loc-tite on the four bolts and DO NOT over tighten them. 30 to 35 ftlb of torque will be more than enough...Good-Luck and keep us posted...PBWY

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hey thanks for the info. I appreciate it. Right now I have few mods but I plan on headswapping the car pretty soon. I just wanted to do it right and fix the tranny first. What exactly needs to be done to index the aluminum bell? I thought there really wasn't a way. Anyway I'm glad to hear the crossmember will be ok. BTW I just put in a new Cobra clutch so I guess I will just leave that. I also plan to replace the rear main seal. Is that the same as replacing a 5.0 rear main?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts