·
Registered
1988 Mustang GT Vert
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
they made 4-eye t-top notchbacks, so i'd try to find that headliner first. if not i dont see why you couldnt use the hatchback one. if anything it might need slight modification. if your going to do the t-top conversion, modifying the headliner shouldnt be much of a task for ya ;)

i'd love to go add t-tops to my notch.

btw Welcome!

·
Registered
1988 Mustang GT Vert
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Yeah for sure modifying the headliner would be simple in comparison to cutting up the roof and installing t-tops. The plan is to actually find a t-top coupe and go from there, but I have seen a few conversions done on here so It may just be easier to get a hartop coupe and convert it. Just have to make sure to find a good donor car to get the roof from and as many trim parts as possible. LRS sells all the seals and the trim caps that the tops latch into.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
yea i dont know if they made many (if any) '87-93 t-top notches. i think most people either get a donor car or swap all the newer stuff into the 4-eye (depending on preference). if i could find a good donor car i would definitely go for it, ive always wanted t-tops. thats 1 thing that chevy had over ford back in the day. i duno why it wasnt a big hit on the fords

·
Registered
1988 Mustang GT Vert
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Same here. I did see an 87 on e-bay a few months back, which as it turns out there is a long thread on here regarding it's authenticity. Some people said that they stopped offering the t-tops on the notches in either 84 or 86. Tech editor for 5.0 Mustangs & Super Fords - KJ Jones has an 86. So weather or not that is real or a conversion I don't know. To do the conversion looks pretty straight forward, just time consuming and obviously your cuts need to be accurate or you might as well throw the car away. The next biggest obstacle I see is the headliner issue. I got a response from LRS this morning and they said the hatch headliner is longer than the notch so they could not guarantee that even the t-top cut outs would line up. Looks like I definitely need some assistance from someone that has already tackled this project.

·
Registered
1988 Mustang GT Vert
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I have found a new t-top coupe headliner @ National Parts Depot. Here is the link. With T-Roof

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
ive been contemplating doing thid conversion on my 86 coupe. If u have the board for the t top go to Joanns and get the fabric and make ur own.

·
Registered
1988 Mustang GT Vert
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@kiethnra Thank's for the suggestion. But, maybe you missed my last post. I found a new t-top coupe headliner at National Parts Depot. NPDLink.com Just go there look in 79-93 Mustangs, interior, headliners, pick your year, then body style with sunroof, with out sunroof or with t-top.

·
Registered
351 Posts
yea i dont know if they made many (if any) '87-93 t-top notches. i think most people either get a donor car or swap all the newer stuff into the 4-eye (depending on preference). if i could find a good donor car i would definitely go for it, ive always wanted t-tops. thats 1 thing that chevy had over ford back in the day. i duno why it wasnt a big hit on the fords
The T-top bodys were weaker, thus twisting the whole body up. The twisted bodys caused alot of leaks too. Chevy did the T-tops since the 70's they probably solved that problem early on. Just stiffen up the frame.

·
Registered
1988 Mustang GT Vert
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
wow, didnt realize LRS sold the t-top headliners like that. nice! but at that price I'm just going to continue with my plans to just cut a regular hatch headliner board to fit the t-tops and glue on the headliner material.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts