Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a T-56 for the Cobra. This trans. is out of a '99 T/A. What will I need to put it in my '97 Cobra? Is there a kit somewhere for doing this swap? What about the splines on the input shaft? I have heard that the Viper input shaft is stronger, will that work with my clutch? Viper also has steel shift forks. Any info. would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
GM Has two versions 93-97 and 98.

here's the deal.
........................... . GM ............. Ford
.... Input shaft..... 26 sp....... 10 sp
. ... output shaft..... 27 ........... 31
Overall length
.......... 93-97.........794mm
................. 98.... . 809mm....... .840mm
Shifter location
............. 93-97 718mm.........671mm
................98......746.6mm
Ratios are also different... GM has 2.66 first Ford has 2.97
fifth and sixth are also taller in the GM version.. I Don't think this is going to happen..Al

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know that there are differences. The length difference is due to the front portion of the case being different for the GM hydraulic clutch. The input, output shafts are also different. I am not too worried about the gear ratio in first, all my car does in first is burn up tires anyway. I am thinking that maybe I can get the front portion of the case, and the input and output shafts, swap them out, then it should work. I know this seems like a lot of work, but since my total investment into this trans. is exactly $0, I am not too worried about buying some parts to make it work. Thanks for the info. though, anything I can find out about this trans. is greatly helpful. I am also finding out about the Viper input shaft and shift forks, these parts are supposed to be much stronger in the Viper T-56. My buddy that works at a GM shop says that unlike a lot of transmissions, this one can be serviced in individual peices. With any kind of luck I can churn out some kind of Frankenstein monster T-56 and stick it in the Stang.:evil:

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
JustinZen said:
I know that there are differences. The length difference is due to the front portion of the case being different for the GM hydraulic clutch. The input, output shafts are also different. I am not too worried about the gear ratio in first, all my car does in first is burn up tires anyway. I am thinking that maybe I can get the front portion of the case, and the input and output shafts, swap them out, then it should work. I know this seems like a lot of work, but since my total investment into this trans. is exactly $0, I am not too worried about buying some parts to make it work. Thanks for the info. though, anything I can find out about this trans. is greatly helpful. I am also finding out about the Viper input shaft and shift forks, these parts are supposed to be much stronger in the Viper T-56. My buddy that works at a GM shop says that unlike a lot of transmissions, this one can be serviced in individual peices. With any kind of luck I can churn out some kind of Frankenstein monster T-56 and stick it in the Stang.:evil:
I'd do a search for the user name "Coop". He has done some swapping of GM and Ford T-56 components. He may be able to answer a lot of questions for you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How can I get in touch with "Coop"? Does he work at D+D? I think this can be done with some parts swapping, just need some more details. Thanks again for the replies.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
JustinZen said:
How can I get in touch with "Coop"? Does he work at D+D? I think this can be done with some parts swapping, just need some more details. Thanks again for the replies.
I do not believe Coop works for D&D. Use the Corral function here on the Corral to find posts by Coop. Call or e-mail D&D to contact D&D.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts