Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Does anyone have actual knowledge relative to any differences between the various T-5 Z transmissions that are sold new? Respectfully, I'm not looking for any speculation or "I think....," I'm looking for actual first-hand knowledge.

For example, Jeg's lists a "McLeod" Tremec T-5Z for $1,895.

McLeod Tremec 1352-000-251 T-5 5-Speed Transmission Ford 5.0L | JEGS

and the Ford Performance T-5Z for $1,995

Ford Performance M-7003-Z: Heavy Duty T5 Transmission 5 Speed | JEGS

They appear to be identical with the only difference being a $100 price difference. The part/SKU number for the "McLeod" Tremec that they list is the same exact number of the one that MDL references in their listing.

TREMEC Super-Duty T5 5-Speed Transmission Overdrive 1352-0251 2.95 first .63 OD - Modern Driveline

Odd right? Or are there actual differences? I find it hard to believe that McLeod is buying Tremec T-5s and putting their name on them and charging $100 less than Ford, but maybe that's the case?

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Figured I'd call Jeg's to see if a tech there would know and they said that McLeod makes the gear set in the T-5 Z for Tremec so McLeod can sell that tranny under their name and charge whatever pricing they want. Can anyone back that up?

·
Registered
24,111 Posts
l
Figured I'd call Jeg's to see if a tech there would know and they said that McLeod makes the gear set in the T-5 Z for Tremec so McLeod can sell that tranny under their name and charge whatever pricing they want. Can anyone back that up?
look at the warranty options

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I doubt you’re going to find anyone who has first hand experience with all 3 of those, but judging how the listing for the t5 from modern driveline lists the ford pn as an alternate, I’d say those are the same. Well hell, I’d say they’re all the same.

The only places I know of to get an actual built t5, as in different than they come from tremec, is from Astro or pro-motion power train.

·
Registered
8,837 Posts
I'm in the "all the same" camp. As far as I know, only Tremec is making new T-5's and the only one they still make is the T-5Z.

I do not believe McLeod makes transmission gearsets. They are more known for clutch/flywheel and then reselling trans from other vendors (Tremec). I'd buy whichever one offers the better warranty, which from a quick look looks like 1 year for both. If that's true, get the cheaper one.

Reactions: Quik5oh

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Tremec makes all of the new T5z 5 speeds, many companies sell them as "their" own brand.

With that being said I build T5s and sell them from stock 3.35 WC T5s to T5z with upgrades and when gear sets are available the G-Force and Astro A5 T5.

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I pulled the trigger on the "McLeod" T5Z so I'll confirm back relative to packaging, etc. once it arrives in the event anyone else has this same question or is curious as to any differences.

Reactions: Cornman

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
They're all the same. Just sold through different names. If you plan beating on this thing hard i would recommend installing an upgraded countershaft thrust plate, billet shift keys and shiiming it tight. The thrust plate will keep the gear contact patch even under load and stop the rear countershaft race from spinning, chewing into the case.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Tremec makes all of the new T5z 5 speeds, many companies sell them as "their" own brand.

With that being said I build T5s and sell them from stock 3.35 WC T5s to T5z with upgrades and when gear sets are available the G-Force and Astro A5 T5.
I bought one of the t5z's about a year ago. Tranny works well. I'd buy another if I was in the market.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They're all the same. Just sold through different names. If you plan beating on this thing hard i would recommend installing an upgraded countershaft thrust plate, billet shift keys and shiiming it tight. The thrust plate will keep the gear contact patch even under load and stop the rear countershaft race from spinning, chewing into the case.
Where/who is the best source for the billet shift keys? Tony at Astro? I just ordered a "T-5 World Class Upgraded Cluster Support Plate" from Astro. Are particular spec on the tight shimming?

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Where/who is the best source for the billet shift keys? Tony at Astro? I just ordered a "T-5 World Class Upgraded Cluster Support Plate" from Astro. Are particular spec on the tight shimming?
Astro is a good source for that stuff. Also, check out proforce performance - Stan is really good with T5s and knows just about everything about them. I would shim a fresh T5Z to .002" preload, so just get a .002" thinner front shim and also put .001-.002" preload on the countershaft. Mobil 1 synthetic atf is a good fluid to use.

·
Registered
105 Posts
So you are going to take apart a brand new transmission ( won't this void the warranty/) and put a bunch of after market parts in it??? How much more for a new TKX instead??????

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Why people pay $2000 for a stock t5 baffles me, when you can get one assembled by the promotion guys in Florida, with a 500hp warranty for the same price.

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Was able to get the "McLeod" T5Z to my door for $1,800+ tax ("free shipping") through Jeg's with $100 off code. Can't complain about that price! I've seen them for $2100-$2200+ elsewhere.

I don't have plans to thrash the T5Z, just wanted a nice, new tranny with a 2.95 1st all fresh and new for street cruising and the occasional strip pass or road course event. After the warranty expires, I will likely do the reinforcements that 408foureye mentioned for good measure.

Thanks for the guidance 408foureye. Mobil 1 synthetic ATF is readily available so I'll go with that. When I spoke with MDL, they said to stay away from Royal Purple as it's too slick and will cause issues with the T5Z. They sell Amsoil ATF and said any good GM Dexron III ATF would be good. I believe I've been running GM Dexron III in my original '86 T5.

Reactions: Bentley

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Why people pay $2000 for a stock t5 baffles me, when you can get one assembled by the promotion guys in Florida, with a 500hp warranty for the same price.
Ya know....All these years in the performance world and these guys weren't top of my mind (kinda forgot about them). I miss MM&FF, kept all the various vendors (that advertised) top of mind. ProMotion would have been a good option had I remembered them. For the intended use of the Jeg's sourced T5Z, a brand spanking new tranny from Tremec should suffice.

Will certainly keep ProMotion in mind for the future!

·
Registered
8,837 Posts
Astro is a good source for that stuff.
Tony at Astro has gone MIA. Number of posts on some other forums claiming unable to reach him and needing to go through credit card agency to get money back. I would hold off on buying anything of Astro's webpage unless you can get someone on the phone.

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So you are going to take apart a brand new transmission ( won't this void the warranty/) and put a bunch of after market parts in it??? How much more for a new TKX instead??????
No, at least not during the warranty period. The car that this tranny is going in sees like 2,000 street miles a year... it's just a cruise night, car show, spirited Sunday driver rig.

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tony at Astro has gone MIA. Number of posts on some other forums claiming unable to reach him and needing to go through credit card agency to get money back. I would hold off on buying anything of Astro's webpage unless you can get someone on the phone.
Ahhhhhhhhhhh, yikes. Thanks for the heads up! I did send him an email and haven't heard back yet. From what I recall in the past, he was always pretty responsive. There isn't a phone number listed on his website anymore, but one shows up when you make a purchase through PayPal on the invoice/receipt.

The purchase that I put through was $85 through PayPal, so if it goes sour, I'll retract it through PayPal.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts