Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently replacing the Throwout bearing and pilot bearing due to a strange whirling/whining noise that I am having with my 91 GT. When I took the trans out i noticed some "play" in the input shaft. Not play in the axial direction but, play radially within the sleeve that the throwout bearing rides on. Does anyone know how much play I should have and where to measure it? Also, is there a way to determine if my input shaft bearing is bad while the trans is out of the car?

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
it should have minimal play.

The stock aluminum throwout bearing retainer probalby looks like this:

You really should order a new one (around $40). Its steel and looks like this:

well worth the money...saves your TOB, makes your clutch release properly, and makes your pedal softer.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
bearing retainer

you can get them anywhere, summit racing would prob be the fastest.

ps it isnt an option you must replace it with a steel bearing retainer or you will constantly have that problem

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Re: bearing retainer

gc87coupe said:
you can get them anywhere, summit racing would prob be the fastest.

ps it isnt an option you must replace it with a steel bearing retainer or you will constantly have that problem
the fact that they didn't roll off the dealer assembly line tells me that is not true.

Ultimately the steel unit is hands down the only way to go, but if your aluminum one is not grooved or shot at all, it's your gamble.

I've tested the play (not in-out) play, but radial, round and round play like you mention. I've done this with a t5 with a billion miles on it, and one that had a recent fresh rebuild, and they both fealt the same.

I can't throw #'s at you, but in my opinion, if the play is minor with the input shaft installed, you should be ok.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
for 40 bucks NOW do you want to tear your transmission out and replace ANOTHER 40 dollar bearing? Its a win win if you plan on having your car for ANY length of time.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Make sure you buy.A Ford,Borg Warner, or Tremec part the aftermarket ones are crap and the bearing race won't fit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts