Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My T-5 grinds real bad when shifting to second or third quickly. Double clutching will not grind. Here are my options...

1. Buy a new tranny and install it myself
2. Bring the car to a tranny shop
3. Get a used T-5 and install it

My 1985 Mustang GT has 150,000 miles. The only modifications are... 8.8 with 3:55 gears, Holley 4160, vacuum advance is connected straight to the carb, timing is between 10 and 12 degrees. The clutch was replaced last year.

Here are my concerns, as always money is the main issue.

1. Buy a new tranny and install it myself, This will cost me way over 1,200.00 and it will be difficult to install.

2. Bring the car to a tranny shop, this option scares me cause they could just replace synchros and I way be on my may spending 500 or 600 bucks. They might want to replace the tranny and charge me a couple grand!

3. Get a used T-5 and install it, this would be cheap but what if I get a bad tranny, I still have to install it.

What kind of experience has people had with tranny shops? How do I know if they are not going to rip me off?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Things to think about...

I know you said money is tight - but just remember...

The '85 (and '86) T5 is the WEAKEST T5 out there. (My stock '86 T5 lasted long - but it shifted really bad - compared to my new T5-Z.)

If you can't get a new one - the options I see for you are to rebuild it using the '89+ parts (if that's possible??), or get a used '89 + T5. They are the strongest besides the Cobra and/or T5-Z.

On a side note - if you don't have a recommended shop - let the buyer beware... Good luck. Mark

·
Registered
784 Posts
You have a non World Class T-5, congrats on lasting 150,000 miles.

Here is the Tremec web site, they have some good info about the T-5 and World class vs non World class

http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/home/home.asp

I am not certian if you can convert this to a World class unit. The best option is to get a World class T-5 core and have that one rebuilt. I would not bother having a non WC T-5 rebuilt, it's only rated for 260 ft lbs torque, and the motor is 300+ft lbs at the peak.

As for finding a good used T-5 good luck. There are some good ones out there, but they don't stick around too good since they are pretty easy to break and everyone wants a good T-5.

My T-5 was pretty busted up. I paid $575 to have it rebuilt. It did last 40,000 miles but never felt right. It's more a matter of the shop you choose. Rebuilding something can make it stronger and more durable than a new one (like with motors) The first shop I used was more of a Auto rebuilder shop and they did not really get the trans set up right.

Not alot of cheap options out there. I just got a rebuilt T-5Z from a prof rebuilder for $850 and am very happy, shifts awesome and feels real good.

·
Registered
201 Posts
whats a t-5Z? I have my stock 93 cobra t-5, when it goes out is there an upgrade in the components I can use? if so are they made by ford or some other company?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
See "Difference between T5/T5z" post below...

-----------------------
whats a t-5Z?
-----------------------

I can't remember if your Cobra came with the z-spec tranny or not?? I do know the Cobra t5 is/was the strongest stock t5 available... Mark

·
Registered
784 Posts
The T-5 Z is similar to the 93 Cobra trans but with Cromalloy 1-2-3 cluster gears. Still uses the steel input bearing retainer and the 2.95 1st gear vs Aluminum input bearing retainer and 3.35 1st in the older World Class T-5. The 93 cobra trans was rated for 310 ft lbs, the T-5Z is rated at 330 ft lbs. The lower geared 1st reduces stress on the trans vs the old 3.35 1st gear, this improves the torque rating. All the other weakness is still present in a T-5Z though. A midplate support( retainer plate between tailshaft and cluster shaft) can be used to stiffen the case, my trans has one. There is a webpage with a pic out there but I can't find it now.

Yup the 93 cobra trans is the strongest t-5 ever factory installed pretty good place to start.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
?

quote:
The lower geared 1st reduces stress on the trans vs the old 3.35 1st gear, this improves the torque rating.
----------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm... I would think the lower (numerical) 2.95 first gear (which is "taller" than the 3.35 gear) would increase the stress on the tranny... ??

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
T-5

Mark Harrell - You got 260,000 on your shortblock!
Did you do a leakdown test before installing the heads?
I am hoping I can change heads, cam, motor mounts, oil pump in the near future and use those E7 heads or Edelbock etc.

Well I think I may end up buying a new tranny and putting it in myself, fortunatley it still runs I just can't have any fun the way it is now.

I should get the number off my tranny according to mustanggt.org 1985 was the transition year for world class, meaning that some 85s were world class

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
481 Posts
I can help you rebuild your t-5, or rebuild it for you if you'd like. I have all the tools here at my house. I just rebuilt my t-5 after taking out 3rd gear. I put the 2.95 first gear and super alloy gears in it. According to this site from 85 to 89 the wc transmissions could only handle 265 ft lbs. Then in 90 they changed to 300 ft lbs. The 93 cobra could handle 310 ft lbs

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Mark - 85gt

Yeah - I had about 254k on the stock E6 long-block before I swapped the heads, and no I didn't do a leakdown. Probably should have done a hone and rings at least - but I was too eager to see what the heads would do for me.

And Fowler86 is right - the WC title is really meaningless. Your stock '85 T5 (like my '86 T5) is the weakest of the bunch. If you're going to spend money and get a new one - I would not replace it with a stock '85 T5. Get a >= '90 or the T5z. (Or if big power is in your plans - go with the Tremec...) Good luck! Mark

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fowler86gt

Fowler -

Send me an email at [email protected] regarding rebuilding this tranny. I am in no hurry and do not need the car until May 2003.

Thanks,
Mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts