Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to pull my T-5 out and go through it. I don't even know what to look for when looking for bad parts except the obvious worn gear teeth. I have never done manual transmission rebuild but I do all my own work on my car and I have wrenched at home on about everything. I know there are good books out there but I get better info from people who have done it first hand.

Has anyone done this at home? Was it very difficult?

What kit did you use and from who and how much?

Did it turn out as well as you had hoped?

Thanks,
Rod

PS, my daily driver is a 2000 ford f-150 4x4 ext cab 5.4 truck.

The mustang has only been driven once this year so time is not an issue.

·
Registered
266 Posts
T-5 Rebuild

The transmission in my 89 lx was terrible when I got my car. eg: noisy and wouldn't downshift.

I bought a rebuild kit from Hanlon motorsports (www.hanlonmotorsports.com) and downloaded some manuals from tremec's site along with some info from other people's sites and my dad and I didn't have too much trouble with the rebuild. I took it apart and then went out of town for two weeks and then put it back together. It would have been a lot easier if I would have done it all at one time. As long as you take your time follow some instructions I think you'll be OK. If you want to drop me an email, I think I still have the files I used to rebuild mine. I have put about 1000 miles on my tranny and it shifts excellent. It still makes a little noise in 3rd, but I'm satisfied with the results.

[email protected]

·
Registered
654 Posts
The hardest part is removing and reinstalling the pressed on stuff, you really need a press for these. You can do it without but a press makes life so much easier!

Go to Hanlon Motorsports webpage and buy their video, it's a step by step video and then decide if you want to do it yourself or not.

I found it pretty easy and it was the first trans I ever did.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, looks like these guys know T-5's.
I will take your advice and order the video first and see how hard it looks. I would really like to do it myself since I have done everything else myself on my car and owned it since 1996. (just a self pride thing) If it breaks I have no one to blame but myself then also.

When it comes to the pressing on and off did you do it yourself? are there any special tools you need? (minus a press) I have access to a press.

Thanks,
Rod

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Ring Seperators from Sears are a must (can get them from Snap on.. ect)... punches... deadblow (piece of mind)... bearing seperators for the press.... Dial Indicator and base to check runout on main shafts... You would also need some V-blocks for this part... umm..

·
Registered
186 Posts
I agree my dad and I did a rebuild on my T-5 with the Hanlon Kit and Video. We have been dealing with Bob for years and have always been very pleased with his service and the products he sells. Having him do it is a very good alternative if you decide it is too involved.

I am the same way about my car, yesterday was the first time I ever dropped it off to be worked on and I was nervous the whole time the work was being done. It was just an alignment but you understand. That video is very helpful, there were a few things that differed on my T-5 as opposed to the one he used for the demo but all in all it was a great video, and a do able project for some one with a decent set of tools and a little mechanical know how.

HTH,
Gabe

·
Super Moderator
27,649 Posts
I used the Hanlon video and some long-distance hand-holding from Neighbors to do mine. Bought a $100 12-ton shop press to help. Not that difficult at all.

·
Registered
654 Posts
If you don't have the dial indicator go to harbor frieght.com and buy everything there, go stuff cheap.

Do not skimp on snap ring pliers though get a good set somewhere else!

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I just sent Hanlon an e-mail so I can get their T5 rebuild kit.

I was able to get a free T5 from a friend :)

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
what press? all you need is a universal puller. I don't even remember on what. I might of just used a hammer.LOL there are good websites with pics and specs on the subject just do a search. Good luck

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Hey 2stangs, this is an old thread :D

I was just searching about T5 rebuilding and posted a comment, :p

:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts