Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recomendations on oil to use. I hear good and some very bad about using Synthetics and engines gumming up. I have always used Regular Castrol 10W30 or the 20w50. How about a synthetic Blend. Does this all come from the same pipeline or is there a superior manufacturer out their?

Thanks,

·
Registered
837 Posts
Ive been using Mobil 1 synthetics in every Mustang Ive owned since 95, never had a problem with em, and I was told that they were the purest synthetic in the $4 range. If you want to spend more, I think Redline is good, but at $7+ a quart I would go Mobil.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Synthetics won't gum anything up at all. You just don't want to use synthetics on a high mileage motor that's been using straight natural oil all it's life (in some cases).
Mobil1 is the best over the counter (Syntec isn't even a true synthetic). Redline, Amsoil, and Royal Purple are supposedly top notch.
Or you can just change your regular oil every 2k and have similar results

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yeah go with Mobil 1...

It uses no viscosity modifiers like the "dino juice" does, and this is the greatest advantage as the oil remains more stable over the life of its use. It doesnt suffer from film separation at higer temps and rpm also as a result. Another HUGE thing is the neglibible ash content, which is that GUM which builds up in engines over the span of their operation as the oil burns off or is consumed. More expensive yes, but I think its worth it. I use Mobil 1 10W-30 in my 1988 Sable with over 150K miles. Its all synthetic since I got it a year ago, and it runs just great. It does consume a bit of oil, but the light weight and viscosity index of the 10W-30 i feel lets it lubricate much better, and these Ford Vulcan V-6 engines liked to eat bearings so I'm gonna stick to this regimen. And look at it this way, in worst case scenarios these oils matched with good filtration will last upto 6000miles or more, and still give reasonably good performance...

Just my $0.02

Dan

G

·
I used Castrol Syntec 5w-50 in my 86GT 302 engine from 52,000 to 191,000. The engine never failed. I drag raced the 1/8 for the last 2 yrs with it WOT all the time with all those miles and ran 8.50's. I have to give my blessings to the syntec! :joy:BTW, I recently took the motor out to put a 408 in, But the 302 still ran like a jewel! No smoke or pecks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.