Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
How much are we talking? Usually it'll start coming out of your seals/gaskets, pcv, etc. Maybe even smoke in your exhaust. Unless you've filled it all the way to the very top it's not too bad.

Why?

·
Registered
521 Posts
a common tell tale symptom is when you are standing there with one extra empty quart bottle in your hand than what the capacity is.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
a common tell tale symptom is when you are standing there with one extra empty quart bottle in your hand than what the capacity is.
Or, when it is higher on the dipstick than the "Full" mark, :rofl:

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
A motor with a rod knocking because the crankshaft whipped the oil to a froth and the oil could no longer properly lubricate the bearings.

·
Dean Scheidt
3,465 Posts
I accidentally put 6 qts of oil in my old 302 combo with stock 5 qt pan. At the track, I was running 2 tenths slower in the quarter mile and my mph was down. I finally figured out that I put too much oil in it and drained a quart back out and it went back to normal.

This happened because I had a GTO and truck that each took 6 qts of oil so out of habit I put 6 qts in the Mustang.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have 408 with a 7 qt pan that the dipstick dont seem to be calibrated with on a new engine... pushing oil out of seals and dipstick.... hoping its something real simple.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have 408 with a 7 qt pan that the dipstick dont seem to be calibrated with on a new engine... pushing oil out of seals and dipstick.... hoping its something real simple.
same thing here. i just dumped in 7 quarts and remarked the dipstick. easy to do, just tick them off on ur fingers, when u get to where u got 3 unused fingers stop:)

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
same thing here. i just dumped in 7 quarts and remarked the dipstick. easy to do, just tick them off on ur fingers, when u get to where u got 3 unused fingers stop:)
so... it was puking out on the headers and such and now its not? I LOVE all the dooms day sayers that go straight to "your rings are toast" in every thread I searched... people dont look for the simple solutions, the repost the worst possibilities.

:salute:

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
so... it was puking out on the headers and such and now its not? I LOVE all the dooms day sayers that go straight to "your rings are toast" in every thread I searched... people dont look for the simple solutions, the repost the worst possibilities.

:salute:

If you've got 7 qts of oil in a 7qt pan, then it's not overfull and that's not your problem.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
A 7qt pan will take even more including the filter and a bit overfilled will not cause seals to blow.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
took a quart out and not more oil blowing out the seal and the dipstick :) Problem solves

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Hopefully you didn't do any long term damage. I smoked a crank once when I overfilled a 302 by about 2 quarts.

Mike

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Ford put the dipstick mark for the 351 Cleveland CJ motors 1 quart higher than the standard version Clevelands - just to provide extra oil capacity. Unless you overfill by a lot I wouldn't expect it to be a big problem. Yes, you could at worst case crud up the rings so they don't seal, etc. But a small amount overfilling won't cause damage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What kinds of things can happen if you put too much our in your engine?
The oil sending unit could go out and it could cause oil loss or it could throw the sending unit out and you could do all sorts of damage. Also its not very hard to adjust the valves on a mustang thats making a ticking noise

·
Registered
762 Posts
The oil sending unit could go out and it could cause oil loss or it could throw the sending unit out and you could do all sorts of damage. Also its not very hard to adjust the valves on a mustang thats making a ticking noise
9 year old thread you are responding to.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Oil sending unit go out????? Umm, no. Sending unit only reads the pressure, whether there’s a million gallons going by at 30psi or 5quarts at 30psi, it doesn’t know or care.
Blow the unit out! Lol! If you put too little in, will it suck it in too? Lol.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
It takes alot of extra oil and sustained rpms to cause starvation from oil aeration. I have never seen an extra quart or even two in a stock 302 damage bearings. Things like bigger oil filters, oil coolers and supply lines come into play, which can skew the dipstick reading by alot. Think of what happens when you're driving uphill and all the oil is sitting at the back of the pan drenching the crank. Obviously the engine is overfilled when oil is being pushed out of the breathers and into the PCV system. Beating on a cold engine is much worse in terms of oil starvation, especially with thicker oil and colder temps.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts

The added weight from the oil will also damage the motor mounts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts