Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to switch four lug axel to five?

I am interested in converting my 66 mustang 8" rear end over to 8.8? What problems might I run into other than switching from leaf springs to coil springs.

I am also converting to a T-5 transmission at the same time. I feel confortable with the T-5 change over.

Thanks for any feed back!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
885 Posts
Stock for stock, the 8" might be stronger, its built like the 9"

In my experiance a 9" rear is just as cheap if not cheaper than an 8.8 and normally comes with better gears. Measure your rear-end from flange to flange and find one the same width or close to it and swap it in. You may have to weld new spring perches on the housing to match your springs but theyre cheap.

Why would you want the fox four-link in a 66 stang? Too much trouble with no real benifit IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Zephyr 351c said:
Stock for stock, the 8" might be stronger, its built like the 9"

In my experiance a 9" rear is just as cheap if not cheaper than an 8.8 and normally comes with better gears. Measure your rear-end from flange to flange and find one the same width or close to it and swap it in. You may have to weld new spring perches on the housing to match your springs but theyre cheap.

Why would you want the fox four-link in a 66 stang? Too much trouble with no real benifit IMO.

Looking for a Positive trac set up. Seemed expensive to try to convert my 8" to a positive trac. And I thought switching over from leaf springs to coil was a better set up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
How about this?


http://www.powertrax.com/noslip.htm

I was looking at this product for a friend of mine who has a 73 stang with a non-posi 8 inch ring and pinion. Looks promising and a breeze to install.....what do you think?



I am finding difficulty in locating a posi for the 8 inch....clutch pack, auburn etc....any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Phill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,197 Posts
You can have leaf spring pads welded onto an 8.8" to put in your early car. I do not agree that an 8" is just as good or better than an 8.8". I don't even believe that a 9" is necessarily better, especially in stock form.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cosmoracer said:
You can have leaf spring pads welded onto an 8.8" to put in your early car. I do not agree that an 8" is just as good or better than an 8.8". I don't even believe that a 9" is necessarily better, especially in stock form.

Thanks for the advice. I might re think about switching over to an 8.8 rear end.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
idwitheld said:
How about this?


http://www.powertrax.com/noslip.htm

I was looking at this product for a friend of mine who has a 73 stang with a non-posi 8 inch ring and pinion. Looks promising and a breeze to install.....what do you think?



I am finding difficulty in locating a posi for the 8 inch....clutch pack, auburn etc....any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Phill
I noticed powertrax.com has no prices. I wonder what something like this would cost. It might be better to find a 9". And set it up.

My son & I restored this car. I thought if I ordered low gears he would not be able to do high speeds, but have great take off & low end. But now only one tire will grab hold. Plus he seems to be more wiser than I thought he would. I guess after speeding his hard earned money & time restoring the car. It made him appriciate it better. All his friends wish they had it.

My problem is that I had already bought gears for the 8". Now I am trying to keep from wasting money. By tring to set up a positive trac rear end.

Now he is also looking for bigger heads. I bought him a T-5 so he can switch over from the four speed. Which will help some on his 4.10 gears. Not that great for highway driving. Should have not gone this low, but the cam we installed suggest these gears as well as the speed shop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
check the stangnet forum for classic mustangs, there are alot of guys who have done this swap over there.

BTW> 8.8 is stronger than the stock 8. IMHO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bsailors said:
check the stangnet forum for classic mustangs, there are alot of guys who have done this swap over there.

BTW> 8.8 is stronger than the stock 8. IMHO.
What is the web sites address????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,207 Posts
The 9 inch is cool for gear changability issues.

One of the big maagzines (Hot Rod, Car Carft, Mustangs and ford etc) did a rear end comparison between the 8",8.8, and 9"
the 8.8 is actually stronger in stock form, this does not apply to strange or curry rearends or a N case.

The only thing the 9" was better at was the chagability factor. Once a factory posi goes on a 8" or 9", it never will wrok right again(yes even with a rebuild)

Either go with an aftermaket posi/tlock carrier or use the 8.8

You are running a t-5, with 4.10's....unless you have a 4cyl (it still may not last long) You are going to blow it to smitherines. C'mon, he is a kid and prolly going to run the dog snot out of it and tell you he doesn't. Go with the 8.8 as it is much more cost effective than the 9" (in stock form)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,462 Posts
The 8.8 can be put in the 66. I have been looking into this for about 2-3 years. There is a mustang place in Ga. that has done this. The best way is to weld the leaf perches on. You can buy the Mopar set from summit or Jegs.
The only problem is getting dual exhaust over the top of the 8.8 because the body is larger than the 8" or 9". Plus you have the stock upper control arm mounts that get in the way. These could be cut off.
If you need a xmember for the T-5 in a 66 let me know. I think I may have a spare. I am doing the T-5 EFI swap in my 66 hopefully sometime this year or next.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
8.8 into a leaf spring Mustang

Guys your looking in the wrong places! How about Rangers and Exployers! They both have 8.8 's in them with five lug axles and they have spring pads on them with no upper control arm ears on them!They have big drum brakes and disc 's! So why are you guys screwing around with Fox body axles! They are all over the bone yards complete for under $500! And if you need them narrowed its cheap and you can use the axle that came with them!Most of them will not need to be narrowed! Maybe for the 64-66 Mustangs! And by the way most of the guys reading these post don't build rear ends! And don't know much about the 9 inch rear end! They are still around and cheap in price! Get out and look!Ford did not come out with the 8.8 rear end because it is stronger than the 9 inch! Fords bean counters said they could save a lot of money by using a cast unit and thats what Ford did!GMC and Mopar did this a long time before Ford did! Lets face it c-clips suck!You don't see stock car guys running junk c-clips!Because they want there axles to stay where they belong under the car! PS. Most Explorers have 3.73 posi rear ends! You can change to 9 inch ends and put 9 inch axles in!Call Moser's they'll make them for you! 9 in. not stronger ha ha!MR.FORD49
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top