Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had off road h pipe, dynomax muffs, and the stock stainless 2.5 tips on my '90 LX. I liked the sound, not too loud and the stock stainless tips looked real nice under the rear valence.
But, with my Maximum Motorsports panhard bar and Griggs torque arm, there was too much rubbing, bumping and clunking. So, I decided to cut off the tips and dump the muffs right in front of the axle.

I was so surprised when I started it up. It was so LOUD. I didn't realize how much sound was squelched by the tips. I also got a lot more vibration. The middle console inside squeeks like crazy now.

Also, without the extra pipe on the end, the car started running rougher for some reason. I disconnected the battery and reset the idle and it seems to run stronger than before. Could I have gained some horsepower?

Is this normal? Has anyone else seen this happen?

For now, I like it and will keep it loud. I am sure I will have to tone it down in the future.

Thanks,

Clint

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just finished the same thing and lost the tailpipes, holy **** was it loud. I put my high flow cat pipe back on and installed some turndowns. Now it is about as quiet as before, at least I can hear the radio!

Dan

·
Registered
216 Posts
I love the sound of the dumps. My only complaint is the center console and teh parking brake button rattle like crazy. Other than that I love the sound and they set off alarms like crazy. :D

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Pyro, I was wondering if anyone else experienced the same things I did. I kinda think the extra vibration came from eliminating the extra set of pipe hangers on the ends of the tailpipes. I don't know, just thinking.

Clint

·
Registered
673 Posts
One of the welds broke loose on one of my tailpipes about a month ago so I cut them both off. Talk about LOUD!!! I used to have turndowns when I was almost stock and it was loud too, but now it is a hellluva lot louder than that ever dreamed of being. I definitely have alot of rattles inside the car now, alot more than before anyway. I will be changing my cat-back very soon to Dynomax SS's with 2.5" stainless tailpipes, I can't wait, my ears sure could use a break!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Mr. Kelley said:
Thanks Pyro, I was wondering if anyone else experienced the same things I did. I kinda think the extra vibration came from eliminating the extra set of pipe hangers on the ends of the tailpipes. I don't know, just thinking.

Clint
I'm guessing it's either that or the increased resonance from the lack of pipes. The exhaust exits closer to the muffler now and is still resonating quite a bit, or at least that's how I picture it. Not to mention if it's angled downwards, the sound can bounce off the ground and back up into the car instead of straight out the back. Sometimes if I put it in a high gear while driving slow and hit the gas, it gets REALLY and I mean REALLY deep and even causes the dashboard, ttops, etc to rattle along with the console and that friggen parking brake button. It's easy keeping everything else from rattling, but that button....I'm not sure on how to keep that thing from vibrating other than holding it during the drone or pushing it to where it sticks in and doesn't click back out. Either way, have fun with the dumps...I know I sure have. I find myself purposely pulling into crowded parking lots "fishing" for alarms. :D Chirps get a point, fully setting them off gives 3 points. :p

·
Registered
673 Posts
Either way, have fun with the dumps...I know I sure have. I find myself purposely pulling into crowded parking lots "fishing" for alarms. Chirps get a point, fully setting them off gives 3 points.
LOL!!! I don't even have to pull into the parking lots, all I have to do is drive by a crowded parking lot and the alarms go crazy. Every time I start my car I set off my neighbors alarm on an explorer, then as I drive down my street I usually set off three or four more alarms. I'd say on an average day I set off at least 20-25 alarms. It was fun at first but now its just aggrivating.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey how would this sound

Have a 93 GT and ordereing 1 5/8 bbk long tubes with short off road h pipe and mac 2.5 dumps. Sound nice. I hope so.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Re: Hey how would this sound

Slow93Colt said:
Have a 93 GT and ordereing 1 5/8 bbk long tubes with short off road h pipe and mac 2.5 dumps. Sound nice. I hope so.
I'm pretty sure you will love it. :D

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Re: Hey how would this sound

Slow93Colt said:
when i addded my longtubes to my 2ch. flowmasters dumped it totally mellowed out the sound, its not too loud. in fact i want to make it louder but i dont know of any other muffler out there that can do this.... i was reading the "15-muffler dyno and decibel shootout" in 5.0 mag and they are all about the same loudness. they were all stock "size" mufflers though. meaning no bullets or anything. i think im going to try the race bullets though... i need more volume.

anybody knw what muffler to go with over the 2ch flows? and dont say 1 ch flows because im not about to spend $80 on EACH muffler....what about dynomax ultra-flow race bullet???

take care,
adam

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
AVBCON12: Yes definetly get the dynomax 2.5 in 2.5 out race bullets..... they are like $32.00 each and man are they evil sounding. I have them on my irocz and it sounds incredible. Well worth the $68 bucks i paid for the two.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
how do they sound compared to your flws on your mustang? i have the 2 chambers now and want a similar sound but louder and deeper.

thanks,
adam

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
You cant even hear the mustang running with the off road h pipe and the 2 chamber flows...... Being on a chevy motor its hard to tell what they will sound like on a 302 but i would imagine they would be what your looking for. If you like the deep crackling sound youll like those mufflers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts