Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys from Corral.net

I'm a big Mustang Fan since i was a little child. Now I am 20 years old and i'm driving (and repairing if there is something broken) my dad's 1970 grabber orange manual geared 351 Cleveland Mach 1 for two years. In Switzerland you can make your driver's license with 18, and yes I'm a Swiss guy from Switzerland. :)

But now I want my own cool Fox Mustang for (more or less) daily summer driving. I want a Fox Stang, because in Europe nearly nobody knows this car. Therefore this Stang is perfect for a sleeper project. It is really hard to find a Fox in Switzerland (or general in Europe), but I have found a black '83 302 manual geared convertible with wood dash interior in Germany.

Is it possible to reinforce this convertible (I know a 'vert isn't that much stable), so that I can put in a Ford Performance 302 engine with approx. 350 rwhp? What I have to do in general. If it's possible, then I take a detailed look at this car, because it is about 4 to 5 hours from my home away.

Greetings from a BIG Stang Fan :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Make sure the floor pans are in good shape, not cracked or swiss cheese rusty. For strength, add some subframe connectors, torque box reinforcements, and add the floor pan reinforcements as well. I'm sure others will chime in, but that is a good place to start.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I own a 1992 convertible and, stock, they are about as stiff as a wet noodle. You need to start with this: 1983-93 Mustang Convertible This is the first mod I did to my car and it was a night and day difference. While our convertibles will never be a very stiff car, this kit is a huge improvement over stock.

If you want to go further and just do one order, go with this: 1987-89 Mustang convertible Road & Track Box While their website doesn't list a package for the 1983 model, you can message Jack Hidley on this forum or email them and they will set you up with what you need. I ended up piecing together a road and track box for my car. I wish I had just ordered it all at once. If you've got any further questions on owning one of these convertibles, please message me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Make sure the floor pans are in good shape, not cracked or swiss cheese rusty. For strength, add some subframe connectors, torque box reinforcements, and add the floor pan reinforcements as well. I'm sure others will chime in, but that is a good place to start.
Hei JMGlasgow

Thanks man for your fast answer! I know the subframe connectors, but the other things are "new" to me. Thanks for your first tipps. :)

Greetings 351cui

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey 10Boom

Yeah I know the fox 'verts aren't that stable... I took a black '92 convertible for a test drive (approx. a year ago) and it's like you say: a wet noodle :grin2: . Terrible and funny to drive at the same time... You have some very good ideas to make a Fox stiffer. I think, I'm going to Germany to ride the '83 convertible in one or two weeks. In Europe, nobody wants a '83 convertible (except me) , so it doesn't go away that fast...
If I have any question about owning such a convertible, should i send you a PM or can I write it down here?
I will ask the seller to send me detailed pictures. Then I will put these on this thread. So you can see the condition of the car.

Very Thanks, and you rock!

Greetings from Switzerland

351cui

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hey 10Boom

Yeah I know the fox 'verts aren't that stable... I took a black '92 convertible for a test drive (approx. a year ago) and it's like you say: a wet noodle :grin2: . Terrible and funny to drive at the same time... You have some very good ideas to make a Fox stiffer. I think, I'm going to Germany to ride the '83 convertible in one or two weeks. In Europe, nobody wants a '83 convertible (except me) , so it doesn't go away that fast...
If I have any question about owning such a convertible, should i send you a PM or can I write it down here?
I will ask the seller to send me detailed pictures. Then I will put these on this thread. So you can see the condition of the car.

Very Thanks, and you rock!

Greetings from Switzerland

351cui
Feel free to post your questions here in the forum. It may end up helping out someone else later on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah ok 10Boom

I have seen many spare parts (new or used) for the 83 Fox, and that's really cool. But: What if the wooden dash is broken? Are there any spare parts for this specific fox dash?

Thanks and Greetings from Switzerland

351cui

·
Registered
93 Posts
Your question brought back some old memories because I started driving on a 1983 GLX convertible. It was red with white top and vinyl interior, 5.0, T-5 manual trans and wire wheel hubcaps. It was a fun car.

Just like everyone has mentioned, you need the subframe connectors and strut tower brace. Those are the first two things I bought for my current 92 convertible and they helped a lot.

Other things to consider are the 83 mustangs had a 7.5" rear end instead of the later models 8.8", came with single exhaust instead of dual and either had the SROD 4 speed or T-5 5 speed manual transmission based on when it was built. I'm not sure how well the rear and transmission would handle the engine you are talking about. I'm sure it would work fine if you are easy, but something will probably break if you are driving it hard. They can be replaced but it is something to consider.

I haven't looked in depth at what is available for the 83-84 Mustangs but I have not seen any reproduction dash trim parts. There are a couple of options for replacing the factory gauges/cluster/bezel with an aftermarket bezel and autometer or similar gauges. You will have to look on ebay/junk yards if you want to replace the wood dash trim panels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts