Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my windshield in my 84 Capri is cracked. I bought a parts car, a 89 GT, to get the drivetrain for the capri. Could I have a shop install the windshield from the GT into the Capri, assuming they are the same? This may be a stupid question, but I am just trying to keep costs down. Thanks.

·
Registered
984 Posts
You should be able to do it yourself. Pop off the trim and go from there. The glue and such you can get at parts store. Some shops won't touch used glass.

·
Registered
186 Posts
the only way to remove it is to cut it out with piano wire. Any other way you try will break it. Just get a shop to put a brand new one in. Its not worth the effort

·
Registered
14,118 Posts
lol, I bought a used windshield from a junkyard. 4 windshields later they finally delivered one intact. It had a scratch but at that point I was willing to take what I could get. :D A windshield can be removed without breaking it... just not by those guys :p

Installation will be the easy part, remove all the stuff from the frame/windshield and apply a strip of butyl tape to frame. There's some kind of glue that must be applied alongside the butyl, then you and a helper set the window on and press it down carefully then re-install trim.

If you want to go the new window route, $160 installed is a good price.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Ray III said:
lol, I bought a used windshield from a junkyard. 4 windshields later they finally delivered one intact. It had a scratch but at that point I was willing to take what I could get. :D A windshield can be removed without breaking it... just not by those guys :p

Installation will be the easy part, remove all the stuff from the frame/windshield and apply a strip of butyl tape to frame. There's some kind of glue that must be applied alongside the butyl, then you and a helper set the window on and press it down carefully then re-install trim.

If you want to go the new window route, $160 installed is a good price.
Again the only way to remove one is to cut it out with piano wire. Those rubes obviously didnt have a piano wire.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You can also use a knife that was designed for it as well.

looks ike a large xacto with a 90* blade

·
Registered
14,118 Posts
Ya, they make something like a hair curling iron but instead of the part that clips on your hair is a heated blade with a 90 degree bend in it so you can stick it under the galss. It has a swiveling handle as well that you use to pull the blade. It works well for windshield removal, but not if the last person to install it smeared glue all over the place so the blade won't reach :mad:

Guess I'm gonna have to tell those foolish rubes a thing or two about piano wire. :p

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Damn, I totally forgot I started this thread. Thanks for the info guys. The windshield on my parts car looks really clean. Hopefully I can get ti swapped.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
umm no you can not cut the window out using the Knife with a 90* blade as yuo call it. i happen to have a few of those in my garage along with piano wire and the proper handle to cut the windsheild out with. ( I own a glass company that installs and removes glass that operates in canda for the movie industry. www.onsetglass.com) Yuo have to use piano wire and go slow. the glue as you guys are calling it is eurethane It does not harden as it dries and stays porous and does not dry competely. the butyl tape is to keep the eurothane from comming out from the windshield and onto painted surfaces and to keep the windsheild moving. And by the way the baldes for the window knife do come in different lengths to reach all the way past the glued area of the windsheild. They however have to be pulled with teh handle as ray stated it having( nice description of it ray) and the blade has to be held at an angle. The likelyness of breaking the windshield is great and ost likely will happen. You will at least scratch som eof the glass off the windshield on the edges atleast. piano wire is the best way to remove a windshield if you plan on keeping it intact.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
ohh yeah and just for the record, my owning a glass company does make it open game to get me to remove or install anyone's glass for free LOL my experteise is really in blowing it out with explosives as seen on my website I posted above.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I have one of those tools and it works fine. I've cut a number of windshields out with it, including ones that were already replaced and gooed up reallly good with glue. Knock on wood, but I've never broken one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts