Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Recently bought a 98 Mustang however the speedometer and odometer doesn't work. Is it viable to switch the OEM instrument cluster that goes up to 8k RPM and 220KMH to a V6 instrument cluster that has a redline way sooner and goes up to 7k RPM and 200KMH max on speedometer?
Say for example at 10'o'clock point V8 shows 2.5K RPM and V6 cluster at 10'o'clock is 2K RPM. At 2.5K RPM from computer, will the V6 instrument cluster still show 2.5 or 2k? thanks for all the help!

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It won’t read correctly as the Tach is programmed to work for a v6 engine. The Speedometer will. I’d try and find yourself a GT cluster.
Thank you so much for the answer. I was suspecting so. Do you think I can remove the motor for the speedo and install into the V8 cluster. Motor should be compatible? Also as for my odometer the gears behind it should be compatible as well I suppose. I'll just practice on it removing and what not, it'll spare me a gear set if compatible

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see you are in Canada, Here in the US you can pick up a cluster for $50 bucks. Also if your Speedo and Tach have stopped working, check the fuse under the dash. 9 times out of ten that is what is wrong.
It's only my Speedo, tacho works just fine. When I push the speedo needle up and takes very long and very slow to come back down to the 0KMH mark.
When pushing tacho needle up, it comes down very quickly at consistent pace. I have a feel of the speedo motor is gone as well as odo gears are burned out. Changed my VSS which had bit of wear and tear on the gear. What would be the source for buying a used GT cluster from the US. I really appreciate your help brother!

· Registered
1,868 Posts
It's only my Speedo, tacho works just fine. When I push the speedo needle up and takes very long and very slow to come back down to the 0KMH mark.
When pushing tacho needle up, it comes down very quickly at consistent pace. I have a feel of the speedo motor is gone as well as odo gears are burned out. Changed my VSS which had bit of wear and tear on the gear. What would be the source for buying a used GT cluster from the US. I really appreciate your help brother!
eBay, Facebook Marketplace, the classified sections on this site.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts