Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, my tranny recently went and I got a pretty good deal on a built t5 with bellhousing, centerforce clutch, steeda tri-ax shifter. I had to go with a t5 because I'm on a tight budget being in college and all. I know i'm gonna have to use a 87-93 clutch fork and upr driveshaft spacer since its an earlier tranny from a 87-93 car. How hard is it to do the tranny swap with everything? My dad and I have have rebuilt engines and lots of other stuff but never have swapped trannies. About how long will this take to do? Any special tools? Can someone give me a step by step on how to approach this? I really rather do it myself considering I'm in college and really don't have the money to spend on having someone install it. Plus I'd like to have the experience of swapping a tranny. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
811 Posts
If your car is already a 5-speed, you'll be better off if you just swap the input shaft and the bearing retainer off your old trans and putting them on the Fox t-5. Save yourself some headache.

·
Registered
74 Posts
it is a very simple process.....the first thing you should do is remove the shift knob and remove the bezel around the shifter. next remove the shift handle and the rubber shield that covers the hole in the trans tunnel. after that, mark the position of the driveshaft to the rearend and remove the driveshaft by using a 12pt 12mm socket to loosen the bolts holding the rear joint to the rear end. once the bolts are out, lower the rear of the driveshaft and pull it back until it slides out of the transmission. unplug your o2 sensors, and remove the h-pipe from the car and unplug the two sensors from the transmission. next, remove the dust shield for the clutch cable and release the clutch cable from the fork by taking the cable off of the quadrant. after removing the c-clip, you should be able to pull the cable out from the bellhousing. next, support the transmission and remove the 2 bolts holding the transmission mount, and remove the bolts holding the support. next, loosen and remove the 4 bolts holding the transmission to the bellhousing. at this point, you should be able to slide the transmission out. to remove the bellhousing, take out the starter, pull out the clutch fork and throwout bearing, loosen the 2 bolts at the bottom holding the shield on, and remove the 6 bolts holding the bellhousing to the block. imstallation is the reverse of removal. its not a difficult process at all, and shouldnt take any more than an hour or 2 to remove and another hour to reinstall if you are mechanically inclined which it seems like you are. if you need any other help, feel free to send me an e-mail.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Hmm?

Fork said:
If your car is already a 5-speed, you'll be better off if you just swap the input shaft and the bearing retainer off your old trans and putting them on the Fox t-5. Save yourself some headache.
Could you tell me why ?

B

·
0 Posts
Trans swap

The only difference between the Fox T-5 and the 94-95 is input shaft length. If you change the input shaft from the regular fox one to the 5/8" longer 94-95 shaft and bearing retainer, then the trans will bolt right in with no spacers, mods, or other crap. It's the same as your old one at that point.

Hope that helps. I'm in the process of the AODE-T-5 swap right now and I've done ALL the research... headaches....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Re: Trans swap

BadBlk95GT said:
The only difference between the Fox T-5 and the 94-95 is input shaft length. If you change the input shaft from the regular fox one to the 5/8" longer 94-95 shaft and bearing retainer, then the trans will bolt right in with no spacers, mods, or other crap. It's the same as your old one at that point.

Hope that helps. I'm in the process of the AODE-T-5 swap right now and I've done ALL the research... headaches....
if you havent seen it yet, check out the tech section of www.allfordmustangs.com

they have a detailed aode-t5 swap guide which i used during my swap.....also, if you need any help, just shoot me an e-mail and ill be more than happy to give you the info you need.....

B

·
0 Posts
Thanks 94 5.0 HO

Thanks for the input on that. I've been hoping to find a walk-through on that subject.

One question I have is regarding the computer:

I know the auto computer and harness have to go, because the ignition timing is related to the shift points on the AODE. So I did the proper thing and ordered up an '89 A9L computer and the harness for a 94-95 manual car. Are these going to plug right in to each other or am I going to have to do some re-wiring?

Also, I have a really nice Granatelli mass air, 24lb calibrated to match the new injectors in the crate motor (with GT40 intake). Unfortunatley this mass air is for the Fox body. Can it be made to work on my 95 or am I better off to fence it and get one for this year?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Chip...

It would have been easier to have a chip burned. Not for tuning, but to take care of those shifting and modifications done to your car.

try www.fordchips.com and shoot them an e-mail with your questions. Although your route might be cheaper--if it works.

Let us know how it goes. I just checked out all my stuff after my aod-e to TKO swap and will put in the chip this week. Without the chip the car is bogging bad around 3500 and 4500 rpms....

Will keep you all updated on my progress. It was definitley a great project to do...even my dad (82 years old) was helping me out. He was a trained mechanic in WWII.

I can definitley say I will NEVER sell this car unless there is a gun to my head--and I'd think twice even then. Too many good memories now, the best one was my dad and I playing around with the car in the garage!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Re: Thanks 94 5.0 HO

BadBlk95GT said:
Thanks for the input on that. I've been hoping to find a walk-through on that subject.

One question I have is regarding the computer:

I know the auto computer and harness have to go, because the ignition timing is related to the shift points on the AODE. So I did the proper thing and ordered up an '89 A9L computer and the harness for a 94-95 manual car. Are these going to plug right in to each other or am I going to have to do some re-wiring?

Also, I have a really nice Granatelli mass air, 24lb calibrated to match the new injectors in the crate motor (with GT40 intake). Unfortunatley this mass air is for the Fox body. Can it be made to work on my 95 or am I better off to fence it and get one for this year?

Any input is greatly appreciated!
the harness that goes to the computer is the exact same between the 5spd and the automatic. the tranny harness is all that needs to be changed. i believe the a9l will plug right in, but you will have to do something to make the electric fan work. i didnt go through any of this since i just swapped in a t4m0, so i really cant tell you much. all i did with mine was put in the 5spd tranny harness, and plug the t4m0 into the stock eec harness, and everything ran perfectly. sorry i cant be of more help.

·
Registered
724 Posts
siccnessbrew024 said:
Since there are some guys in on this one that have done the AODE-T5 swap. Do you know what size the clutch to flywheel bolts are? Thanks
We couldn't find exact replacements at Lowes at the time we did my friends car and just picked them up at the dealer. If you talk to the parts guys they will probably practically give them to you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts