Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems SVT did alot right on the 94-95 cobras, and left several things to be desired (wether foresights or on purpose to remain below some nasty government regulation is beyond me!)

The weakest links in the Cobra package, for the 94-95 cars seem to be the cam profiles and the induction side (MAF and TB). If one knows how to break down their own engine and fix things, you're best upgrades (bang for buck) are MAF (mass airflow meter), TB (throttle body), and cam. The heads, and especially the intake on these motors, are very good pieces. Hell, the Cobra intake, 89-93 (came on 93 Cobra) and 94-95 version (came on 94-95 Cobra) were very decent pieces for their price. And should you be one like me, that LIKES the look of that big long-runner intake on the top of your motor, the cost to make the cobra intake very VERY stout is quite low right now. The Cobra intake is one of the best bangs for the buck out there at the moment, especially if you are skilled in porting, or if you know of a good shop that'll port cheap. These intakes port extremely well, b/c their stock, don't show their ports, and had thick ports from the get go, and can take a good deal of work without any visible signs.

If you need a sign as to what the 94-95 cobra motor should be, and CAN be cheap, take a look at the 340 HP long block from FRPP. These guys make claims, in the same power range, of what the 94-95 cobra motor is capable of, with only a couple of small changes. With a simple cam spec change, and possibly a small change to the heads, you're lookin at a rockin powerplant.

These are TOTALLY my observations from looking at offerings from various kits from different sights on the interent. Nothing I said in any way suggests that any company will stand by these prices. Your searches may vary! Good luck, there are killer deals out there to be had :)

Love, Snakbytn1994

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dag, sorry. This thread was in a long line of responses to another thread on down the line. Should you happen to be reading another thread and this one, out-of-the-blue, made sense to you, then I take full credit for that, and the sense that you felt is wholly owned by me :p

I'm only responding to this b/c I don't know how to delete it and make it apply to what I had wanted it to :( So love me, and forgive me for my lack of forum etiquite :)

·
US Navy Active Duty
652 Posts
I think you missed one of the weakest links of the 94-95 Cobra, the not so performance minded EEC programming. That holds back the potential of the 94-95 cars big time, IMO.

·
PMS Tuning Forum Moderator
3,478 Posts
The stock EEC is not that bad. The T4M0 is much more resistent to modifications than the J4J1. I was able to sneak out some 11.80s with the stock EEC, stock Cobra intake, and stock 60mm tb. The ET in my sig is also on a stock EEC. I've now broken down and bought a PMS and now I'm running that to find those last few hidden horsepower, but in the past I was able to work around the EEC pretty well.
On a stock Cobra...my best mods were bigger meter, gears, full exhaust, shifter, and my trust shift-lite (along with fuel pressure and timing adjustments). Car ran 13.40s @ 104 with just those few things.

Troy

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
The stock EEC sucks. Sorry if I offend any one. I read a few technical tidbits about what it can and often will do under certain conditions. Here are a few of the PERFORMANCE-minded features Ford felt it necessary to bless the 94-95 Cobras with:

->15-20 degree timing drop between gear shifts
->10+ degree timing drop after 93-94 mph
->Conservative fuel and timing curves

All of this was done to cover their butts. I can't argue with them because it would cost them too much to keep fixing the dang things under warranty!
They knew the SN95s were a little more portly (yea right) than the Foxes so they did this to save claims on transmissions and supporting parts. If you look at actual outputs of the Mustang 5.0 (torque, not horsepower), officially the numbers have been dropping with the same engines! They were at a peak in 88 and 89 coinciding with an increased number of broken T5 claims and began slightly decreasing until they got to the SN95 cars. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

I X L
95 Cobra hardtop convertible

·
PMS Tuning Forum Moderator
3,478 Posts
Actually the J4J1 processor only pulls out 5 degrees of timing for tip-in retard, not 15-20. But the timing drop at 93mph and conservative timing curves are correct. But like I said, there are ways around it when using the stock EEC.

Troy

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
The cam is really weak.. 118 LSA.. .485 lift.
The computer is not the best, but can be helped, Extender. Helps on the shifts. Pulls only 5 degrees between shifts and adds fuel over 93 mph.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts