Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after breaking a valve guide, cam follower and bending 4 intake valves the car is running. I have put about 50 miles on it so far. The thing pulls so much harder now. I can't hook in 2nd gear anymore. It was a long wait and A LOT more money than I thought I would spend. But it seems worth it so far. The only problem I have right now is between 2,000 and 3,000 rpm it has a stumble. Almost feels like its surging. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Congrats on getting it running!

Do you have the SVO/FRPP computer in there? The lack of swirl dams make it a slow burn design which gives some tuning issues I have heard the FRPP computer was supposed to deal with. A properly tuned chip should be able to do the same thing though, right?

When are we going to see some numbers???? :D

·
Registered
115 Posts
Svo Heads Done

Muscrat:

My thinking was these two questions:

1) Your injector size

2) Maybe a tune will help that

Since I will be basically doing same thing as you: Did the Pi Cams go into the heads ok and how much louder did the car get? What was the biggest obstacle in doing headswap?

Donald

·
Registered
259 Posts
as stated before they are a slow burning head, your fix is a good tune with LOTS!!!!! OF TIMING!!!.

The SVO computer runs like *23 of timing, Stock is *10, thus that is why they send you the new computer/FMU those heads wont see their peak performance until you get a tune

·
Registered
647 Posts
I'm glad you got everything together! Been along time waiting I know.....you'll need to get a good tune from a reputable tuner, not some jack leg somebody that wants to piece together a program for you :mad: anyways, I'm happy for ya' man!

SJ

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
OT: Erson cams and ModMax springs

97GTLunatic said:
DTA '01 P&P heads, Erson Cams, BBK LT Headers, BBK O/R H-pipe, MAC Pullies, Steeda T/A, FRP Alum Shaft, Densecharger Tb to MAF power pipe, 2 chamber Flow Catback, FRPP 3.73's, UPR BlueThunder Shifter, UPR Lowering Springs, Gutted MAF, Diablo Sport Chip

Broke ModMax spring, dropped valve, fried engine. DONT BUY MODMAX PRODUCTS!!!
97GTLunatic...you should probably change your sig to "don't use Erson cams". That's the real issue. SD's regrinds, which I'm assuming you have/had, would probably have broken anyone's spring. It just so happens ModMax was the only one making a spring at the time that could handle the lift. By the time Comp came along, everyone knew SD's Erson regrinds were crap. BTW...I had the same experience.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply's!

I don't have the high performance computer, because I was told Ford dosen't make one for the '98, only the 96-97. There is a place around hear I heard about tonight that is supose to tune really well. I am going to call them on Monday and see what it will cost. How much more power do you guys think I can pick up with a tune? If i need 13 more degrees of timing I would think I could pick up alot. I am running stock timing right now. The car runs so much stronger now. And with a good tune I think there is alot more power left in this combo. Should have dyno numbers soon. Should I get 24lbs injectors?

Svo Package- The PI cams are fine.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
98muscrat...congratulations on getting to where you are. I think you should pick up a considerable amount of power with a tune. Like you said...13° is a lot of advance. If those heads need it, it's probably running pretty inefficiently right now. If you've got the money, put 24# injectors in now. You could probably get away with the 19#ers, but you're on the edge of where you need to move up. It'll keep you safe and covered for future growth.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Svo Heads Swap

Muscrat:

I would most definately go for 24lb injectors. Reason I say that is cause 96-98 Cobras have them and they only put out 255rwhp stock and you I think with a tune a would think it a bare minimal your putting down 285 rwhp- I think you could be in 300rwhp area honestly. I talked to Randy S. on phone and think it good possibility we could hit 300rwhp when he hit 343 rwhp. He has high compression then us too. How does the car sound when starting up and driving?

Donald: :king:

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have this basic set up. The FRPP HEADS, INTAKE, AND COMPUTER. I had to bump to 24 lbs injectors, recommended by my tuner and states as a must by FRPP. I haven't dynoed it, with all the money involved, I am scared of blowing it up. But, it pulls all the way to the fuel shut off (done this on accident a couple of times). I have lost all traction before in first and second, depending on how hard I get it on it. I do run very high octane gas to avoid the dreaded ping/knock/det. under very hard acceleration. I have mixed to 96, but now I run straight VP Racing MS 103. Car runs awesome, I figure I will dyno it when I get back from my deployment. The throttle response, is nothing short of incredible. As far as sound, I think it sounds bad arse. I have sound/video files if anybody is interested. They are about 5megs in size.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SVO package- the car sounds a little different. It idles fine and all that, it just has like a surging when I cruise between 2,000 and 3,000 rpm. I think I will have to get a tune to fix that. I am going to call a place tomorrow. I think I am going to get 24lbs injectors also.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Svo Heads

Muscrat:

How do feel about the increase in torque from heads and cams? I would think the car pulls so much harder after 3000 rpm then in comparison to before.

Question of day: What do you want your first kill to be?

Donald:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Call FordChip for the tune. You need lots more timing everywhere except maybe WOT or your milage will be horrible. You also need less EGR, which is probably why you are surging at cruise. You really want a tuner that understands the SVO heads, not just WOT tuning, to get this right.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Daivd- I think you are right about the egr. I unplugged the sensor today and it seemed like the surging went away. I was also told it could be from the lack of timing.

Svo- the car does pull alot harder. I am really excited to get the timing dialed in and see how she pulls. As far as a first kill, I already wasted some stock 5.0 saturday night down the freeway!

·
Registered
65 Posts
wait until i see you going down the highway, you putts. it's about time you added some balls to that boat. ha ha ha. it's the best when you pull on at z28 or ws-6, that look on thier face, priceless.

·
Registered
678 Posts
/me never used a chip or SVO/FRRP Computer and made 317RWHP

With simple tuning like Timing adjuster and Fuel Pressure Regulator. The 19#'s are fine, if your going to upgrade use 30#rs so you have room to grow. The only way I would buy 24s is if I got em for a steal from a former Cobra owner. On my stock block and 19#rs I found best results with 18 degrees on TA(8 Advance) and fuel pressure set at 40-42 with vacuum disconnected. Every car is different and thats why its good to use a dyno to check a/f ratios and spikes in graph. Dustin, if you want a chip give Chris Johnson a call. Chris helps Randy Stinchcolm so Im sure he already has files that would work.

Good Luck Dustin and gimme a call if you need anything.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jam- When we going to meet up? I wan to check out your car! I talk to scheema a couple weeks ago. Are you still working at Apple Ford?

John- I should have my timing adjuster and regulator this weekend. Do you still want to get some dyno time? I can nab one of the NGS's from work. When I set the base fuel presure, should the car be warm or cold?

·
Registered
65 Posts
i don't think it matters if your car is warm or cold. but it probly wouldn't hurt any if you did it at normal opperation temp.
a dyno tun is a must. i,ll be in superior, wis. this weekend but i'll
talk to you. i got my univer and 42's in and its running lean. i had to jack my fuel pressure up to make up for it. i need a chip somthing ferous, so we have to go some where. what is this new dyno place you heard about. is ti RJR in white bear lake. i wonder if they have gotten the chip burn set up yet?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Improvement

Do stock 96-98 GT's really gain close to 100 rwhp with a swap to the SVO Heads and Intake and Chip? I know the Ford Parts catalog mentiones something like 35 hp gain in the heads, not mentioning the Intake. Are real-world results really 80-100 RWHP ?

Thanks (still new to the world of 4.6 L SOHC)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Svo Heads

Muscrat:

Is the car running any better after a week or so after headswap. I talked to Randy S and he told me Chris Johnson tuned his car and he is regarded as best tuner in country. Since Chris has Randy's file I think I will have to drive up to Alabama and get my car tuned. Randy also told me that increasing timing is very beneficial and I might be able to go higher then my 16 setting. I think a good idea might be to run a little racing fuel to make about a 95 octane mixture. A guy in California does to his car for Svo Heads and Svo Intake. I will doing my headswap about this time next month I hope my goes as well as yours did!

Donald

1 - 20 of 34 Posts