Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember when my 4x4 mustang would ride smooth as can be, over bumps or potholes, the ride was very good. Since then I ditched the stock springs and struts/shocks with some FMS C springs and Blisteins. I also cut the snuber.

Sure the car looks much better lowered but the ride quality suffered horribly. I have to try desperately to slow down to 20 mph over any curb or i feel like the car is going to come apart and the car is just horrible over any potholes.

The question is this, will changing my springs to like some progressive springs such as eibach or fms B springs help a lot? Is there any other springs thats almost like stock but just shorter so the car doesn't sit like a 4x4? Also what about struts/shocks? I heard bilsteins were one of the best but how is it compared to some 5 way adjustables by tokikos? Like the lowest setting on the 5 way, will that be softer than the bilsteins? I also didn't replace any of those rubber things the springs sits on, didn't think they needed to be replaced, any difference in those?

Basically I don't care about the handling aspect anymore and I don't want to put on my stock springs because they sit too high, help?

·
Registered
127 Posts
One word: COILOVERS! ;)

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
I had this same problem with my fox GT. I'm scared to do the suspension on my 94 now...

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Sounds to me like you are still using stock struts and shocks. Coil springs are just one part of the supension package. A stock strut/shock package is not going to work well with aftermarket springs. I had the C springs in my 89 LX with stock struts/shocks and it rode like crap. I have the bullit package [springs/struts/shocks/sway bars] in my 95 and love it.

At this point since the C springs are close in rates to the Bullits you may want to try the Bullitt shocks and struts. The Bullit sway bars are softer than stock because the springs are stiffer so you may want to consider them too.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm acutally running bilsteins all the way around. The real oem ones and not the cobra ones...

·
Registered
814 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the Bilsteins are valved quite aggressively, they are great dampers but designed more for the track. Someone looking for serious performance might not mind them but you sound like you want more comfort.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Coil overs are too much, just thinking about getting some Eibach pros. Heard eibachs are pretty good and they are progressive...

·
Registered
11 Posts
My stang now rides better then when it was stock, bought some eibach prokit springs. They come with a shorter snubber so u dont have to mess with your original one. The springs alone didnt do the trick. bought some tokicos 5 way adjustables which are great, they finished off the nice ride. Just set them to your preference.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Coilovers may be a few more $$ but it beats having to pull your new suspension system again. I'm going to pull my h&r's for some coilovers soon, can't stand the rough bouncy ride. I want to maintain the performance of lowering springs though, thats why I was recommending coilovers.

I've heard many times that the h&r race springs were supposed to have a good ride quality with the bilsteins. I guess I'm getting old! ;)

·
Registered
724 Posts
I have Steeda Sport Springs and Bilsteins. My ride is very smooth. When I had the stock shocks/struts it was hell driving with those springs. :) I am not sure I like the back springs, but I wouldn't change the struts/shocks. I love 'em.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts