Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently converted my 88 over to mass air, I added a 73mm maf calibrated for 24# plus matching injectors. Car ran just fine before change. When I first start the car the idle surges for a couple of blocks and then it runs fine, but if I stop and restart the car it does the same thing for a few minutes and then goes away. When I scan for codes I get 34 and 94 the only thing not hooked up is the A/C.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am in search of these answers as well, I do know if you take the vacum hose off of the EGR valve on the rear of the throttle body your rough idle at start up should go away, it did on mine. Then at least the thing is drivable. If you hold your finger on that vacum line you will feel vacum on it for a minute or so at start up and when the vacum goes away then you can replace the hose and it will idle fine. So basicly when there is vacum at the EGR valve you have problems and when there isn't you don't. What I want to know is; what am I affecting by just plugging that line and driving the car, if it isn't going to hurt anything or make the car run like garbage, I'm just going to leave it unhooked and terminate that vacum line. So if anyone has that answer please let us know

·
Registered
104 Posts
Well I had the same problem as well as many others and I know this is very common for a lot of people. One thing I found out recently is that GROUNDING is very important and can cause bad signals to be sent between all the electronic components. Check the ground that goes from the battery to the motor/block. If it's worn or if the connection at the block is not very clean, freshen up with new wires and connectors. Make sure you have good, clean connections and use silicon dielectric grease. Also check as many other ground connections like to the firewall area and near the ignition coil. Temperature really affects how well the wires conduct and current and what kind of signals are being processed by all the different censors and whatnot.

If this doesn't work out I have about 10,000 other things for you to try - trust me, I've been through it all LOL.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts