Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Read Only
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a pair of AFR heads from a guy on craigslist. Matched part number 1472 to the afr 165's which I had wanted. AFR site says use 3/8 stud for rockers and recommends APR #134-7104 to do the job. I order the studs and they are way to big for the stud holes in my heads... please see pictures attached.

What am I missing and or what am I doing wrong?

Multiple forum posts confirm this APR number for this AFR head, I always attached the rockers I am using if that helps with anything.

Thank you all for input

Attachments

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
Those APR parts are crap; try buying the ARP stuff next time. ;)

As Woody says - you bought pedestal mount heads, not stud mount. If your Craig's List seller advertised them as stud mount, take it up with them. However, with just a little research, you'd have known as soon as you saw them that they weren't stud mount.

·
Read Only
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow I feel dumb now, I was looking at the other 165's not realizing mine were the street heads and use pedestal... now my rockers and guide plates need to go back along with studs...

Would taping that hole to fit my studs be a bad idea?

Thanks again guys

·
Vendor
12,711 Posts
Wow I feel dumb now, I was looking at the other 165's not realizing mine were the street heads and use pedestal... now my rockers and guide plates need to go back along with studs...

Would taping that hole to fit my studs be a bad idea?

Thanks again guys
Its not that simple, you need to do other machine work to convert them to stud mount. Either sell them right back or get the correct pedestal mount rocker arms

·
Read Only
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright I am going to return my studs, guide plates, and rockers and buy this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/scc-scp1021bl instead. Called them up and it includes all the assembly parts.

Yeah later found out you have to shave off a bit of material for the stud to be correct length. Looked at crane conversion kit but seems sketchy right? its also 140 bucks I don't have.

Have a good one guys, Ill be back with more questions for the forum I'm sure

·
Registered
919 Posts
I used one of those Crane kits for years on stock E7 heads with trick flow springs for the E303 cam on them. As long as you dont go crazy with the rpm's or the spring pressures they work fine.

·
Read Only
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It seems like the conversion does not make it as strong as studs actually are and the only reason I would go to studs is for strength. I have AFR 165's, Edelbrock performer intake upper and lower, TFS stage 1 cam. Just what I am working with.

I think either with the conversion or just stick with pedestal mounts I shouldn't go over 5800/6000 rmps. Buying conversion is more money because if I return my stud set and buy the pedestal mount I am only at a 30 dollar or so loss not 100+ with conversion set.

I think that is best option, taking opinions

·
Registered
919 Posts
They are not as strong as a regular rocker stud. I bet they are stronger than the 5/16 bolts thst are used stock to install the rockers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts