Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Saturday, I am installing the stuff in my sig. Here's what I have so far, do I need anything else??

new timing chain
ultra black sealant
dielectric grease for the spark plugs (which are like new)
sensor safe gasket sealant (for the thermostat)
loctite (the blue kind)
new Summit harmonic damper
2 gallons of distilled water
container of antifreeze coolant (I'm gonna do like 75/25 water/coolant mix)
2 quarts of 10W30 oil
new ARP head bolts (studs) and intake bolts
complete set of Felpro gaskets
gasket scraper tool
those green Scotch pad things to clean up
razor blades

Can anyone think of any other general supplies that I would need? I already have access to good tools, like sockets, torque wrench, and all of that stuff.

·
US Army Active Duty
2,433 Posts
A buddy or 2, more beer, and a punching bag(Saves on hands)!!!:lol:

Check your studs I think they are usually bigger than factory bolts and bolt holes- hopefully you won't have to do any drilling.

Break-in lube for the cam, and a quart of heavy oil for assembly pre-lubing.

Do you have new pushrods already? They are cheap and I wouldn't say it but I just bent 3 of mine(had a rocker arm seize up). Just got done putting my Cobra back together.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Hey Anaconda... take some digi photos of your progress/steps.. it would be cool to check out :)

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AJMcCurdy said:
A buddy or 2, more beer, and a punching bag(Saves on hands)!!!:lol:

Check your studs I think they are usually bigger than factory bolts and bolt holes- hopefully you won't have to do any drilling.

Break-in lube for the cam, and a quart of heavy oil for assembly pre-lubing.

Do you have new pushrods already? They are cheap and I wouldn't say it but I just bent 3 of mine(had a rocker arm seize up). Just got done putting my Cobra back together.
Hmmm, looks like I am going to the local speed shop today for supplies (again). Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
713 Posts
hey Anaconda.. if you need disk space for your photos, you can email them to me and I can put them up on my site for you. I have free dedicated hosting where I work...

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BigPimpHustler said:
hey Anaconda.. if you need disk space for your photos, you can email them to me and I can put them up on my site for you. I have free dedicated hosting where I work...
I'm good on that. I have ample bandwidth too. Thanks.

If you're really bored sometime, check out anacondadesign.com

·
Registered
591 Posts
I reused my stock 140k pushrods. What is the 2 quarts of oil for? You better do an oil change after you finish, then do another one in about 500 miles. Autozone (or any other parts place) has assembly pre-lube as well. I didn't see brake cleaner on there. Can be useful at cleaning stubborn parts.

Take the time to mark connectors and such if you aren't positive you will remember where they go. Also, when pulling/installing the cam, a bolt from the harmonic damper puller will make it easier since you will gain a little extra leverage (sort of like a grip). Where gloves as well so you don't drop it. You need some thread sealant for the studs that drop into the water jacket also. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
erik_94COBRA said:
I reused my stock 140k pushrods. What is the 2 quarts of oil for? You better do an oil change after you finish, then do another one in about 500 miles. Autozone (or any other parts place) has assembly pre-lube as well. I didn't see brake cleaner on there. Can be useful at cleaning stubborn parts.

Take the time to mark connectors and such if you aren't positive you will remember where they go. Also, when pulling/installing the cam, a bolt from the harmonic damper puller will make it easier since you will gain a little extra leverage (sort of like a grip). Where gloves as well so you don't drop it. You need some thread sealant for the studs that drop into the water jacket also. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
2 quarts of oil is for lubricating the rocker arms, cam, whatever else. I just had them laying around.

I will be getting the oil changed on Sunday. Then yeah, another 500-1000 miles, I will do it again. I think I am one of only a small few people who don't mind swapping cylinder heads, but hates changing oil.

I have brake cleaner. I forgot to list that. I also have carb cleaner and engine degreaser (if that matters).

My friend will be helping me doing the whole deal. I am going to his house to do it. He has a nice garage, pretty complete tool set(timing gun, sockets, torque wrench, etc.), and has done head/cam swaps before. He has a 93 LX, and our next project is putting a Holley Systemax 2 in his car, since I owe him labor...hehe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts