Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: has anyone successfully supercharged a 2002 mustang, and what is your set up, including fuel pump?
the reason for asking is because i plan on supercharging in the next couple of months, and have been hearing about alot of issues with the 2002.....
thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
i did it. It wasn't easy. Took a lot of trial and error, but i'm driving a blown 02. Not making the power that i would like with my setup but i ran out of money for the time being. Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
58 Posts
get an 03 cobra fuel pump. i got a walbro 255lph pump cause of the spray, but im fixin to get a vortech. when i do, im getting an 03 cobra pump, cause they eliminate a surge i get at idle sometimes. the majority of the supercharged cars around here are running them.

·
Banned
396 Posts
I have done about 10 02 GT's and they all make safe proven power, call me if I can help

Dennis

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
i gots one!
unfortunately these cars are still turds even with one....maybe ill do a turbo on it next. that should help with the lack of torque.

good luck!

·
Banned
396 Posts
nosmatt said:
i gots one!
unfortunately these cars are still turds even with one....maybe ill do a turbo on it next. that should help with the lack of torque.

good luck!
Well you can talk about your car like that if you like but you are wrong, period, if you think 375 to 450 rwhp is a turd on a stock bottomend GT Motor, why not enlighten us on how to make more on a stock motor with just a good Vortech.

Dennis

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Dennis,

I plan on supercharging my 03 in the very near future. Any tips and or advice? Its my daily and I dont want any problems. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Dennis Reinhart said:
Well you can talk about your car like that if you like but you are wrong, period, if you think 375 to 450 rwhp is a turd on a stock bottomend GT Motor, why not enlighten us on how to make more on a stock motor with just a good Vortech.

Dennis
dennis, not pissin in your cheerios, relax.

the cars are sleds, period! my dyno numbers were 370hp/360 tq at the wheels.

weather or not the car has a stock bottom end means nothing, slow is slow. after 5k invested in this supercharger, and all the related parts, i have a 12 second car.....my 89 lx (R.I.P.) with a n/a 200k stock bottom end would eat this 02 for lunch with no problem at all!

under 3k these cars dont move, sure, they are better than a hyundai.....but thats not saying much.
obviously i like them, i have two new ones in my driveway......but a supercharger is not going to make the car fast....it will put it in stock ls1 territory, but fast is low 11's imo.

anyway, like i said, a turbo will make all the diff, full boost (10lbs) at m,y tq peak (engines n/s tq peak that is) of 3500 will be worth an easy 180-200ftlbs at the rear wheels, where the vortech is gettin me a nice 30 or so ftlbs at the wheels.

in my opinion, after actually spending 5000 dollars for the full setup, tuned, chipped, dynod, mafterburnered, irridium plugged, powerpiped, the 5k would have been far better spent on a street turbo setup. period.

there is no way to argue with that either. when turbo companies pull their heads out, start doing business like supercharger companies, their market share will rise so fast it will make your head spin dennis.

so, turbo companies:

in stock-ready to ship
CARB certification
customer service
warranty
competitive pricing with s/c kits

take care of those 5 items, and watch your profits skyrocket. everyone and their brother will own, or be saving for a turbo kit!

·
Banned
396 Posts
Nosmatt

I am cool, you are the one that called the car a turd, so sell it, if thats how you feel. I am totaly happy with the car, The problem with the 01 and newer is getting it tuned right, I have no problem with that at all, with a built 4.6 SOHC and a good set of heads and blower and cooler these cars will make over 500 RWHP to the wheels on 93 octane, idle perfect and make a good dailey driver. Now every one has there ideas of what they want I have mine, and you have yours I just felt your choice of words were poor on this site. Since most of us love our cars, and dont think there a turd.

Its easy Rick just give me a call, any time what I would do is SVO shorties 42 pound injectors 90 MM Lighting Maf Anderson Ford Power pipe, with external IAT and the new Shicane Fuel pump, my Chip, this is all included in one kit now. But you can try the others, I also would use 4:10 gears with either a good free flowing cats or OR pipe, I am now doing testing on this new Plama ignnition that has come out, for COP. I am going to do dyno before and after and see what it will do. I will post the results.

Dennis

·
Registered
128 Posts
So Dennis you are doing the kits with the chicane pump now? :D
Are they much more expensive with that pump now?

Very cool now I'll just be waiting for the tax stuff to come in so I can get a quick return and I'll be placing my order for sure.

·
Registered
376 Posts
...375rwhp Turd?

My turd can beat your turd! :D J/K
Dennis, can you give me some Idea about what (parts) I would be getting if I were to purchase the chicane fuel pump set-up? I heard that it comes with a 'modified bucket', Is this true? Is it just a drop in replacement? I have the vortech supplied walbro installed right now, so would I need to replace the connector that is on the end of the pump harness with the stock plug/connector [that was removed in order to install the walbro pump], or would it utilize the same connector as the walbro?

Does anyone have any info/proof confirming that the chicane pump is in fact a better choice than the walbro pump for cars with return-less fuel systems which require more fuel flow/pressure than the stock pump can provide? I want to replace my walbro with something that is designed to be used with the returnless fuel system, but I really don't want to (translation: can't afford to...) replace the tank and all that crap along with buying a new $250-300 fuel pump. This is why the chicane pump is a more appealing choice for me. Any info about this pump and how well it works, or doesn't work would be appreciated.

John C.

·
Banned
396 Posts
Here is the comparison to the Chicane and the Walbro GSS317. This is a direct swap for the GT pump and basket, and is far superior in flow under boost and wot, you will need the OEM plug.

As you can see below the Chicane pump outlet is larger in diameter than the Walbro and its also not as tall allowing for the Hat assembly to fit on the body without the metal spacers, so this is will prevent any restriction or possible loss of Fuel pressure do to fuel actually coming out around the sides of the pump outlet under WOT and high boost.

Dennis A Reinhart
WWW.ReinhartAutomotive.Com
904-276-5003

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
cool pics.

does the CHICANE pump come with the basket, or do us walbro hackers need to go and get new stock baskets?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
from what i am gathering is that walbro pumps are junk, chicane are better, and 03 cobra tank and pump is the best. Is this correct? I just want to make sure. how about the auto logic chip. Is it capable of being tuned on a 02 mustang supercharged? thanks everyone

·
Banned
396 Posts
Well I would not say the Walbro is junk, it just does not fit right. The chicane does and we have seen no drop in FP on the Dyno with the chicane. If you are planning on going much over 400 RWHP I would go with the Cobra tank and pumps, and you can do a search about who feels who does the best tuning on the 02 and up. I allready know. I am going to Gainesville tomorrow for test and tune I got the MT on today hope to see some of you down there.

Dennis

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dennis
I am planning on having lidio at alternative auto in mich. tune the car, he has done excellent work on my car already, he is in all the mustang magazines, and he is less then a mile from my house. i have talked to him, i am just doing some research before i get the car done.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts