Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
about how much of a gain would i see if i put in LT headers? i currently have FMS shorty headers and bassani x-pipe going through dynomax ultra flo. i have been wanting to get LT's latley but dont know if its worth it? who makes the best headers?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Do you consider between 25rwhp and 50rwhp increase "worth it??" Those shorties are better than the stock manifolds, but not by much.

Stock N/A applications have seen between 15rwhp and 25rwhp from just longtubes. Blown applications usually see about double those numbers.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Don't undersell the shorties on a blown motor. I did two mods at once so I can't really tell exact numbers but I gained over 50 rwhp by just adding 2 pounds of boost and JBA shorties on my car. I kept timing the same and richened the mixture from 12.0:1 to 11.5:1. That's not all from boost. I credit about 20-25 rwhp of that to the headers. I can still use my stock H pipe if I need to and my cats work properly. That can be an issue on the LTs. That's why they are not normally CARB approved. The converters are not close enough to the engine to get enough heat to work properly. There may be some exceptions to this but I'm not aware of any.

So while LTs are somewhat better performing there may still be reasons to consider shorties.

Ed

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
let me ask this, is it possible to get some hooker LT's and hack up(that wasnt a good word) my bassani x-pipe to make it fit to the hookers?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Wth a cutting torch and a welder anything is possible... but is it the best thing to do? IMHO if you really want the LTs sell the Bassani as used and get the X for the LT's. Since most folks with LTs go without cats anyway the X isn't really that expensive. You'll probably end up with a better job under the car and not spend too much money.

Now if you have a hard time selling the Bassani on the other hand...

Ed

·
Registered
147 Posts
The LT's really seemed to open my car up on the top end. When I had the stock manifolds on I had a loss of power up top,(probably b/c the a/f mix couldn't get out as fast as it was being crammed in). I would never again buy shortie headers, the LT's are worth the money, but thats my opinion.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I'll let you know when I get to the track. I just installed a set of hooker longtubes yesterday.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Edward Clark said:
Don't undersell the shorties on a blown motor. I did two mods at once so I can't really tell exact numbers but I gained over 50 rwhp by just adding 2 pounds of boost and JBA shorties on my car. I kept timing the same and richened the mixture from 12.0:1 to 11.5:1. That's not all from boost.

So while LTs are somewhat better performing there may still be reasons to consider shorties.

Ed
but just imagine all the work you put into shorties.. what you would gain from L/T's.. L/T's are definitely worth it.. if you are gonna do ANY headers... i have had shorties on a cobra and L/T's on my current car and i will never do the work for shorties again, just not worth it AT ALL

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I did the shorties in m y car with the K-member in the car. I helped do a set of LT's in a Cobra by dropping the K-member. Both were a pain in the ass but to say it wasn't worth the 20+ rwhp I got from it would not be an accurate statement. Especially since I got the JBA's like new but used for $250.

To me blood and sweat are free, It's only money that matters.

Ed

·
Registered
554 Posts
......and yet with my shorties I still make more power then most of the longtube guys. ;) Not saying I couldn't lay down a few more HP and pickup a little more midrange torque but they surely are worth the money and will pass emmisions as longtubes woln't in most states.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Here's my smelly opinion. On a blown car shorties are good enough to make LT's not look like they are worth the hassle. I've seen some folks in theads like this claim the shorties are no better than the stock manifolds. That just isn't true and I do put JBA's above other shorties.

Ed

·
Registered
729 Posts
On Ed's recommendation, I picked up a set of JBA shorties on eBay for my '99 GT w/ Paxton NOVI 1000. They just arrived today and look very nice. I can post some impressions when they're in. Unfortunately, that may take several weeks. Also, my car is proably going to have the engine out of it, so installation wasn't an issue. I could have gotten l/t's but the inspection/smog hassles made it not worth the effort for me. I'm trying to build a nice street car, not a race car.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I have JBA shorties on mine...My torque does not fall off till 6000rpm....It falls less then 50Ftlbs to 7000rpm..I'd say they work just fine...

The shorties didn't hurt my car a bit..

Tim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts