Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if there is such a thing. I am looking for a cooler that actually takes heat away from the head unit itself (I want to get rid of the heat at the source) instead of cooling the air.

Anyone seen such a product?

·
Registered
109 Posts
You mean the compressor? :-D

The compressor generates heat because it compresses the air..and as air compresses it heats up. Doesn't really make sense to try to cool the compressor as it's only going to keep making heat and it's not really going to cool your air charge down much.

Sebastian

·
Premium Member
5,154 Posts
If you tried to cool a centrifrugal, wouldn't the casing constrict in on the spinning vanes causing them to break?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I thought about this before. I seems like a good idea to me. As for the impeller expanding and the scroll not expanding because of the heat transfer from the scroll? It seems like to me the scroll staying cooler would also help the impeller stay cooler. But if I'm wrong that would definately be bad. The way I see it: Any heat transfer that occurs in the intake tract would directly affect the temperature of the intake air. I don't see why the manufactuers don't use heat sync type heads on the super chargers. I guess cost.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fourcam281 said:
If you tried to cool a centrifrugal, wouldn't the casing constrict in on the spinning vanes causing them to break?
Not unless the heat is being extracted while it is being generated, not after.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sebastian said:
You mean the compressor? :-D

The compressor generates heat because it compresses the air..and as air compresses it heats up. Doesn't really make sense to try to cool the compressor as it's only going to keep making heat and it's not really going to cool your air charge down much.

Sebastian
I was thinking that heat is being introduced (Vortech, Paxton units) by the engine oil coming in and the gears. Perhaps cooling the oil before it goes into the head unit with an oil cooler would help?

·
Registered
56 Posts
From what I've heard engine oils have an optimum operating temperature. If you run an oil cooler and it is not a high HP application I've heard that it can actually be detrimental. Trying to cool the head unit by sending it cooler oil is probably not the way to go.

·
Registered
33 Posts
P1/t1=p2/t2 so i think t1*p2=t2*p1 which would mean if t1 goes down then p2 would go up i believe and therefore by cooling head unit you would get higher boost numbers....i know this isn't the orignal question but i want to know whether or not i'm right....

·
Registered
56 Posts
But the air heats up from compression, not the compressor itself. You would still have to take heat out of the air, you just want to do it closer to the compressor. The problem is, what will keep the cooler cool? With an intercooler, the ambiant air does. Even w/o a SC, it's pretty hot in and engine compartment.

·
Registered
109 Posts
cobraguy96 said:
P1/t1=p2/t2 so i think t1*p2=t2*p1 which would mean if t1 goes down then p2 would go up i believe and therefore by cooling head unit you would get higher boost numbers....i know this isn't the orignal question but i want to know whether or not i'm right....
Boost measured in the manifold is a measure of CFM and is thus not affected by temp.

Sebastian

·
Registered
33 Posts
i thought the whole purpose of an intercooler was to create lower tempatures so more boost could be produced..... or is this b/c of detonation not gas laws???

·
Registered
491 Posts
If you cool the case and not the impeller(which is likely the if you just put a cooling jacket around the case) the impeller will expand and hit the case(which will not expand because you are keeping it cool). Now, you could design a system of intercooling the impeller and the case, but you would have re-design the whole unit, you couldn't just add it to an existing supercharger. I wouldnt cool the oil going into it because that would raise the viscosity of the oil, and may reduce the life of the supercharger. Now, if you could make something like this that worked, I still dont think it would be better the an aftercooler, for one simple reason, you want to cool the air when the temp diffrence between the the charged air and the ambient air is the greatest, this gives you the greatest cooling effect possible, and that is normaly just after the air has left the supercharger.
Dan

·
Registered
109 Posts
10 psi of manifold "boost" is 10 psi of boost no matter how you get it (Vortech, ATI, turbo, etc). You cool the air charge to increase the VOLUME of air into the motor (cooler air is denser). This is how two different compressors can both make 10 psi on identical cars and one make more power...because the one making more power is more efficient meaning it doesn't increase temperature of the air asmuch as the other.

Boost is really just a measure of CFM that's more than your motor can take in when N/A. Don't confuse this with Kg/Hr.

Sebastian "Seabass"

·
Registered
33 Posts
so then it would be charle's gas law v1/t1=v2/t2 so when you decrease temp you increase volume...... i understand now, i was trying to see how the law related and now i do...thanks

·
Registered
564 Posts
The practical aspect of all this is that you can't cool off the head unit drastically without danger of making the impeller hit the case. In other words, don't put ice on it. I have put ice on the outlet and inlet tubes at the track and picked up a tenth.
Bob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts